Nurse Practitioner- Palliative Care
Nurse Practitioner- Palliative Care-1700029
At Stony Brook Medicine, a TH Nurse Practitioner is a valuable member of our team, who provides clinical services to our patient population. To provide on-site 24 hour medical care and coverage, including assistance with procedures, both in-patient and out-patient, routine follow-up, in both the clinic and in patient units, and emergency interventions, under the authority of the identified supervising physician.
Qualified candidates will demonstrate superior patient care and possess outstanding communication skills while adhering to our high standard of excellence.
Duties of a TH Nurse Practitioner may include the following but are not limited to:
- Conducts comprehensive or episodic health assessment of acute medical patients/families with real or potential acute and/or health problems which may include the psychosocial, cognitive and personal assets and limitations of the patient/family, with an emphasis on palliative care and end of life care.
- Establishes medical diagnoses; orders and evaluates diagnostic studies; prescribes and regulates medications, performs and monitors therapeutic procedures; assesses and/or manges follow up plans within the protocols and practice privileges approved by the Supervising Physician and consent with established policies and procedures.
- Records and documents health appraisal data necessary to maintain, coordinate and/or expedite required services.
- Maintains ongoing communication with Physician collaborator and Associate Director of Nursing relative to select aspects of patient care or administrative issues.
- Acts as a resource and consultant to health care staff.
- Develops, conducts and evaluates formal and/or informal continuing education programs in area(s) of expertise at Stony Brook Medicine and its community.
- Participates in the development and revision of nursing standards of care.
- Participates in Nursing, Medical and Administrative committees.
- Maintains and enhances a current level of knowledge relative to professional practice, as well as, continuing.education requirements necessary for licensure and certification. Attends educational conferences.
- Participates in the research process by• contributing ideas, collecting data, sharing knowledge and applying new findings to practice.
- Participates in the development and review of outcome data to measure the quality of patient care.
- Other duties as assigned by the Palliative Care Physician and Associate Director of Nursing, Medicine/Surgical/Oncology Services .
Required Qualifications: Current NYS RN licensure. Master's Degree in Nursing. NYS Certification as an Acute Care, Palliative Care, or Adult Health Nurse Practitioner.
Preferred Qualifications: Certification in Advanced Practice in Palliative Care. Critical care experience. Two years current experience as a Nurse Practitioner in Acute Care or Palliative Care setting.
Special Notes: Stony Brook Medicine is a smoke free environment. Smoking is strictly prohibited anywhere on campus, including parking lots and outdoor areas on the premises.
All Hospital positions are subject to changes in pass days and shifts as necessary. This position may require the wearing of respiratory protection, which may prohibit the wearing of facial hair.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation. Prior to start date, the selected candidate must meet the following requirements: Successfully complete pre-employment physical examination and obtain medical clearance from Stony Brook Medicine's Employee Health Services (The hiring department will be responsible for any fee incurred for examination), submit (3) written references, and provide a copy of any required New York State license(s)/certificate(s). Please be advised that failure to comply with any of the above requirements could result in a delayed start date and/or revocation of the employment offer.
The best ideas in medicine start with the best people. At Stony Brook Medicine, our highest calling is to put the power of ideas to work in our patients’ lives. Stony Brook Medicine integrates and elevates all of our health-related initiatives: education, research and patient care. Stony Brook Medicine is Long Island’s premier academic medical center. With 603 beds, we serve as the region’s only tertiary care center and Level 1 Trauma Center, and are home to the Stony Brook Heart Institute, Stony Brook Cancer Center, Stony Brook Children’s Hospital, Stony Brook Neurosciences Institute, and Stony Brook Digestive Disorders Institute. We also encompass Suffolk County’s only Level 4 Regional Perinatal Center, state-designated AIDS Center, state-designated Comprehensive Psychiatric Emergency Program, state-designated Burn Center, the Christopher Pendergast ALS Center of Excellence, and Kidney Transplant Center. It is home of the nation’s first Pediatric Multiple Sclerosis Center.
Stony Brook University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. We are committed to the creation of a diverse and inclusive campus climate. We encourage protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, women and minorities to apply.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE UNIVERSITY HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 632-6161 OR THE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 444-4700.
IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (631) 632-6350. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE UNIVERSITY POLICE WEBSITE AT http://www.stonybrook.edu/police
Official Job Title: TH Assistant Director of Nursing
Job Field: Nurse Practitioner
Primary Location: US-NY-Stony Brook
Department/Hiring Area: Nurse Practitioners-Stony Brook University Hospital
Schedule: Full-time Day Shift 8:30 AM - 5:00 PMNurse Practitioners-Stony Brook University Hospital
Posting Start Date: Mar 2, 2017
Posting End Date: Apr 1, 2017, 10:59:00 PM
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Salary Grade: SL5