Extension Educator, Extension Educator - District 4 Coordinator
Michigan State University has been working to advance the common good with uncommon will for more than 150 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU focuses its vast resources and collaborative power on creating solutions to some of the world’s most pressing challenges, while providing life-changing opportunities to a vibrant and diverse community of students and scholars, athletes and artists, scientists and leaders.
Posting Number: 5025
Internal Posting Date: 03-01-2017
Internal Closing Date: 04-11-2017
External Closing Date: 04-11-2017
Review of Applications begins on:
Job Title: Extension Educator
Multiple Position Numbers:
Multiple Position Numbers:
Major Administrative Unit/College: Michigan State University Extension
Primary Department: 10058282 MSUE DIRECTORS OFFICE
Position Employee Group: Fixed Term Academic Staff-FAS
Appointment Basis: Annual Year, 12 months
Appointment Status: Fixed Term Academic Staff
Employment %: 100
Varied Work Hours (if applicable):
Limited Term/Flexible Appointment/Off-Date Information:
Faculty: Salary Range Support Staff: Pay Minimum
If flex, dates of annual flex leave: Northern Lower Peninsula
Pay Grade Level:
Position Summary: The successful candidate for this fast-paced, exciting leadership opportunity will be a self-motivated, progressive and creative-thinking individual who is passionate about partnering with local communities to improve the lives of its citizens and ensure that MSUE programs continue to be relevant in, and beyond, the 21st century.
As part of the MSU Extension Administrative Team, this leadership position is for MSU Extension District , in the northern part of the Lower Peninsula of Michigan, encompassing the counties of: Alcona, Arenac, Crawford, Iosco, Oscoda, Ogemaw, and Roscommon. The location of the District 4 Coordinator's office is negotiable.
The counties located within district 4 are a diverse mix of forest, shoreline and agricultural lands. Tourism, agriculture and light manufacturing are the predominant economic drivers of the area.
The role of the district coordinator is to: develop, maintain and coordinate relationships between MSU Extension and local community partners; provide oversight and mentoring to Extension educators housed in the district; assist educators in the development of appropriate community partners related to the educator's statewide program focus; negotiate and procure resources and support from the community partners and employ entrepreneurial efforts to secure resources with other partners.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
* Develop, maintain and coordinate relationships between MSUE and local partners including, but not limited to: county commissioners, administrators and leaders; industry; human service agencies; agribusiness; youth-serving agencies; and state and federal government representatives.
* Encourage and support educator staff in development of requests for special funding contacts and grants, and developing proposals that enhance Extension's mission and programs.
* Work in partnership as a shared leader with the appropriate MSUE Institute Director with regard to personnel matters, including the hiring process and performance reviews.
* Act as a resource to project team leaders and MSUE Program Institute Directors as appropriate on programmatic issues.
* Contribute to program planning, implementation and evaluation.
* Provide guidance and support to staff in the implementation and compliance of MSU policies and procedures.
* Work with all offices and staff in the district to assure compliance for Civil Rights, Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, and the American with Disabilities Act in employment, program availability and participation, and facilities.
Faculty: Minimum Qualifications Support Staff: Minimum Requirements * Master's degree
* Minimum three years Extension system experience, including administrative responsibilities (extensive experience in a similar high level administrative role, including resource development and procurement, staff supervision and collaborative leadership may be considered in lieu of Extension system experience).
* Demonstrated experience in building relationships with community partners, resource development and budget management.
* Effective and demonstrated interpersonal skills, including the ability to work with community and political leaders as well as campus-based administrators, faculty and staff.
* Outstanding oral and written communication skills, including the ability to listen effectively.
* Understanding of program planning and development, ability to assist with the implementation of evaluation processes, and the capacity to utilize that knowledge in coaching and mentoring of the Extension educators based in the district, as necessary.
* Demonstrated understanding of the logic model.
* Experience in coaching and mentoring others.
* Proven ability in establishing and working with a diverse network of constituents, community members and employees across race, gender, socioeconomic class, disabilities and other differences.
Typing Requirements (wpm):
Summary of Health Risks and Physical Demands (if applicable):
Required Applicant Documents: Resume/CV
Optional Applicant Documents: Other Document
Other Document 2
Other Document 3
Number of Reference Letters Required: No letters required
Special Instructions to Applicants: Candidates are required to submit an up-to-date resume/CV and a cover letter that includes the names and contact information, including email addresses, of four professional references.
For full consideration applicants should apply by April 11, 2017.
The initial appointment is for one year in the fixed term academic appointment system. Following a satisfactory performance review, nine months into the appointment, a two-year extension will be provided at the end of the first year. Thereafter, the incumbent will be considered for additional three-year fixed term appointments, depending on performance.
Department Website Address: http://go.msu.edu/2N5
Name/Title/Email Address of Search Committee Chair:
If flex, dates of annual flex leave:
If flexible appointment, indicate end date of annual flex leave:
If flex, number of months worked per year:
Web Address for Posting: jobs.msu.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=70061
MSU is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. MSU is committed to achieving excellence through cultural diversity. The university actively encourages applications and/or nominations of women, persons of color, veterans and persons with disabilities.