Casual - Float Nurse, University Health Services
Health Services - 50500
Princeton University is seeking a self-motivated, knowledgeable, energetic, and flexible nursing professional to serve as a float nurse within University Health Services. The position entails being cross-trained to support the nursing roles within outpatient medical triage, sexual health & wellness, travel & immunizations, and Infirmary Services. Outpatient Services are open M-F throughout the year, while the Infirmary Services is open September through June.
The position is a casual/hourly, non-benefitted (per-diem) position. Hours per week are varied, ranging from 8 hours to 40 hours per week depending on need.
The nurse in the role of "Triage" determines the acuity and severity of patient symptoms in order to determine priority of care, and monitors the patient until a disposition or medical evaluation occurs. The triage nurse seeks to maintain operational effectiveness of the outpatient clinic by triaging patients appropriately, managing departmental patient flow, and providing nursing support for physicians and advanced practice clinicians. The triage nurse also provides independent nurse visits to students not requiring a physician visit.
The Sexual Health and Wellness (SHAW) RN provides counseling, education, evaluation and treatment of issues related to sexual and reproductive health of and gynecological concerns to a diverse population, in an inclusive and non-judgmental manner, including but not limited to birth control discussions, sexually transmitted disease testing, and options counseling. The Registered Nurse also provides support to the Nurse Practitioners, physicians, and OB/GYN specialists.
The Registered Nurse, Allergy and Immunization Services provide allergy immunotherapy injections, travel related and routine immunizations. The Registered Nurse provides some travel planning independently and maintains contact with students' allergists.
The Infirmary is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, during the academic year from September to June, providing nursing care to students. The Infirmary follows written protocols and has 24 hour physician back-up. Additional support is provided by a second nurse and a nursing assistant.
- Licensed as a registered nurse in the state of New Jersey
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree (BSN)
- A minimum of 3 years nursing experience in an acute care setting
- Triage experience
- Ability to perform physical assessments independently
- BLS certification
- Delegation skills
- Ability to physically ambulate/move patients
- Ability to move frequently throughout unit and stand for periods of time
- Good judgment and independent thinking
- Ability to prioritize and effectively manage diverse tasks, often with interruptions
- Ability to dispense prescribed medications in accordance with protocols
- Computer literacy, including Email, ability to learn Medicat, and ability to use Excel (documentation is an important aspect of this position)
- Excellent Organizational skills
- Detail oriented
- Ability to respond quickly and appropriately to emergencies, including ability to obtain IV access and administer medications intramuscularly
- Ability to maintain an inventory
- Skilled in Immunization administration and Allergy injections or willingness to learn
- Background in the essentials of travel planning, or willingness to learn
- Vaccine knowledge, knowledge of vaccine procedures and adverse reactions, or willingness to learn
- Knowledge of birth control, sexually transmitted infections, and options counseling, or the willingness to learn
- Outpatient/Ambulatory Care experience
- College Health experience
- Recent emergency department experience
- Experience working autonomously in a supervisory position
- ACLS certification
Float Nurse, University Health Services
Actual Hours per Week, if casual hourly
Pay Rate, if Casual Hourly
Work Schedule, if other than standard hours
Eligible for Overtime
Other-see essential qualifications
Open Until Filled or See Position Summary.
Instructions for Applying
Complete the online application and click "Apply to this Posting" at the top of the posting details page.
Documents which can be associated with this posting
Proposed Start Date
End Date, if a Term Appointment
Comments related to end date:
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW