Dean of Professional Programs
The Dean of Professional Programs provides leadership and promotes academic excellence within the Division of Professional Programs in the College of Arts and Sciences, the residential, liberal arts college of Bethel University. The Dean supervises and mentors faculty department chairs in the division (Business Economic; Human Kinetics and Applied Health Science; Social Work, Education, and Nursing) oversees curriculum development, promotes academic excellence through strategic program development and faculty hiring, collaborates with chairs on accreditation, loads, schedules, and budget management. The Dean also supervises the directors and oversees programs in the Child Development Center and the Bethel University Inclusive Learning and Development (BUILD) program, which provides a supportive and comprehensive educational experience for individuals with intellectual disabilities.
- Oversee program and course development in academic departments; Review and evaluate course and curriculum proposals. Coordinate course and curriculum review with department chairs and divisional affairs committee; Evaluate and approve catalog change proposals; Collaborate with department chairs as well as with deans in the College of Adult and Professional Studies, Graduate School, and the Seminary on program accreditation and pathways between academic units.
- Supervise the development of faculty loads and course assignments for all full-time and adjunct faculty in the division. Evaluate and approve course assignments. Manage load changes and overloads.
- Supervise, mentor, and evaluate division department chairs; work with department chairs to encourage and support healthy and effective departments.
- Oversee hiring of full-time and adjunct faculty. Assist department chairs in assessing staffing needs and developing position descriptions; Evaluate application, contact references, and construct candidate interviews. Communicate with the Vice President and Dean regarding recommended hiring decisions.
- Supervise and provide leadership for the Bethel University Inclusive Learning and Development (BUILD) program and the Child Development Center (CDC), including, programming, staffing, and budgets.
- Collaborate with other divisional deans and Vice President and Dean to develop and review Academic Affairs policies and processes and to fulfill the mission of Academic Affairs.
- Approve and prioritize personnel, equipment, facility, and budgetary needs with department chairs and recommends budgets to Vice President and Dean.
- Clear articulation of and demonstrated support for the University’s mission and the value of liberal arts education
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively
- Ability to determine hiring needs and priorities and hire effectively
- Ability to develop and manage budgets
- Clear and effective communication skills, including verbal, written, and listening
- Demonstrated organizational skills, including problem solving and attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and supervise others
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching at the college level
- Ability to effectively manage confidential and sensitive information
Combined 10 years of experience in higher education and professional practice; experience as a department chair or in another administrative leadership position in higher education or in a professional field.
Terminal degree in a professional or academic discipline; doctorate preferred.
- This is a .92 FTE, 11 month position
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends as needed to complete responsibilities
- Must be able to work in fast-paced environment
- Must be able to work flexible hours and travel
Office of Human Resources
3900 Bethel Drive
St. Paul, MN 55112