Biology Instructor & Lab Coordinator
The Laboratory Coordinator component of this position includes responsibility for the daily operations of all Biology labs (General Biology, Anatomy and Physiology, Microbiology, and Cell Biology), including daily set up and clean up, maintaining and operating equipment, maintaining lab inventories, ordering equipment and supplies for the labs, and maintaining physical and written safety requirements of the labs. The Lab Coordinator is also responsible for preparation of necessary lab materials for all life science labs except cell biology. The Lab Coordinator facilitates lab instruction by adjuncts and has supervisory responsibility over students working in the Biology labs.
- Presenting materials necessary for General Biology, Anatomy and Physiology, and Microbiology lab instruction
- Assessing student performance in lab courses
- Preparing the lab space for weekly lab instruction, including equipment and consumables
- With other Science faculty, lab scheduling for the academic year
General Lab Maintenance and Safety Compliance:
- Ordering equipment and supplies for all the Biology labs
- Maintaining general lab equipment including cleaning and inventory
- Maintaining, installing, troubleshooting, and operating laboratory equipment
- Preparing lab materials for General Biology, Anatomy and Physiology, and Microbiology labs
- Maintaining safe working conditions for all instructors and students in the labs using appropriate inventory, equipment, and storage
- Maintaining safety paperwork in accordance with federal, state, and Husson policies
- Training all biology personnel in site-specific laboratory safety
- Training students and other lab instructors to operate laboratory equipment
- Coordinating weekly meetings for General Biology, Anatomy and Physiology, and Microbiology labs
- In cooperation with other relevant Science faculty, hiring and supervising student workers
Must have a minimum M.S. in a field of Biological Sciences with both teaching and laboratory experience. Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision, and function collegially and effectively within a team environment. Must be comfortable preparing solutions, media and cultures and operating and maintaining lab instruments. Technical/administrative experience in laboratory operations is desirable.
Work Environment: The job may require the employee to stand for extended periods of time. The position has a significant laboratory component, with specified protocols for methods and safety. This position may require independent development of instrumentation methods and interaction with technical support teams from instrument suppliers.