Director of Hosted Systems
As a member of our Information Technology Department, you will join a dynamic team of dedicated individuals committed to delivering forward thinking solutions with a focus on continuous improvement. At UMass Medical School IT we recognize and reward independent thought and innovative ideas. We have fostered an environment where the team dynamic is embraced and collaboration and FUN are core components of our culture! We are seeking a dynamic and collaborative Director of Hosted Systems who is responsible for management of our systems engineering team. In this role, the Director of Hosted Systems will be responsible for planning and managing the technical direction of our systems, storage, backup, and virtualization infrastructures. The Director must demonstrate hands on abilities with respect to technology architecture and operations. Additionally, strong leadership skills are essential, particularly around the ability to lead a service oriented team. The University's data center, which includes 800+ Windows, Linux, and Unix systems, is growing at a rapid pace. Preparing the data center to act as a service provider for additional institutions is a critical element for this role.MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Craft and implement general computer controls that result in the issuance of an SAE16 certificate for the University's data center operations.
- Develop operational best practices that speed innovation at the University
- Manage costs to make the data center resources competitive with other infrastructure as a service (IaaS) providers
- Represent the University's interests with respect to research computing, academic computing and clinical engineering.
- Develop a storage roadmap that allows for automated provisioning and effective chargeback.
- Utilize 'gold images' to standardize virtualized server builds. Automate the provisioning & de-provisioning processes to improve customer satisfaction while managing costs.
- Recruit, mentors, and develop a superior systems engineering team.
- Establish and maintain a staff culture that is collaborative, customer -focused and that encourages teamwork, quality, integrity, creativity and professional growth.
- Develops and delivers product and solution demonstrations.
- Lead effective communications with other stakeholders involved in the acquisition, use, and maintenance of data center technologies
- Gathers requirements for delivery team to help with solution design and level of effort estimates.
- Work with vendors, and customer-facing teams to build and maintain highly available production environments. This includes being able to set up and clone systems that comply with our ISO, SAS70 and SOX requirements.
- Responsible for providing budgetary recommendation for infrastructure refresh, maintenance, and new technologies
- Develop and establish operational policies
- Responsible for recommending, developing and implementing new or additional System solutions as appropriate for the organization and customers
- Monitor projects to ensure completion on schedule and within budget
- Perform other duties as required
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems Management, or equivalent experience.
- A minimum of 10 years of work experience in an Information Technology, preferably in a hosted infrastructure environment
- 4-5 years of increasing levels of responsibility in Infrastructure Technology management
- 2-3 years of managerial experience
- Demonstrated management and leadership skills
- Practical understand working knowledge of information security and identity and access management software
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Strong customer service orientation
- Strong project management skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to travel to off-site locations
- Strong strategic and operational planning skills, anticipates problems and proactively engages appropriate stakeholders in implementing customer centered solutions
- Demonstrated ability to build consensus (internal and external) for the integration and implementation of information technology strategies
- Ability to provide innovative IT solutions within quality, cost and timing requirements of internal customers
- Experience in fast turnaround IT solutions and deployments to meet changing business demands and enables pursuit of strategic business opportunities
- Demonstrated success in implementation of large scale, complex IT deployments within required timeframes of internal customers
- Experience deploying IT solutions for a diverse array of industries including profit, not for profit and governmental industries