Student Accounts Specialist -Temporary
Montclair State is New Jersey's second largest university. It offers the advantages of a large university - a broad undergraduate curriculum with a global focus, a wide variety of superior graduate programs through the doctoral level, and a diverse faculty and student body - combined with a small college's attention to students.
Posting Date February 28, 2017
Position Title Student Accounts Specialist -Temporary
Vacancy # Temp - 022817
Department Treasury and Finance
Division Treasury And Finance
Temporary Employee vacancy in Student Accounts
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE:
This position interacts with Veterans, traditional students, parents and the University community on a daily basis and has a working knowledge of department and University rules, performing basic professional functions using established policies, procedures, regulations, precedents, and guidelines. Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with other offices or organizations whose functions affect assigned responsibilities. This person must be able to communicate financial information in a professional and courteous manner, and to help students and parents to understand their financial accountability to the University.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Work with the Financial Aid VA representative to ensure all aid is accurately posted; have access to VA web site to ensure all enrollment aid has been verified
• Assist VA students that need special support when visiting the Office of Student Accounts, responds to very specific questions concerning payment assistance provided by the VA agency and other financial aid that was awarded
• Knowledge of current VA regulations; certifying guidelines, return of funds process and other procedures pertinent to the VA Student population; To coordinate refunds back to the Federal agency for over awarded or students that withdraw from classes
• Process third party billing for Federal, State and County agencies as it relates to VA students
• Ensure all VA documentation is properly acquired; to assist with the reconciliation when the Federal audit is administered
• Works with MSU Health Center to ensure student information is transmitted to Pyramid (MSU Health Center third party software)
• Works with student health insurance provider preparing various communication, time schedule for mailing, and reconciling totals
• Maintains accurate adjustments and settlement of the student insurance waivers and enrollment application as compared to third party partner and People Soft FMS amounts
• Provides instructions for the completion of insurance forms; reviews documents for totality and accuracy; provides information required for transactions
• Ability to compile, organize, and supervise the collection and describing of financial data for inclusion in account requests, in answer to special demands and for use in financial and other statements and reports, to check and verify account invoices;
• Composes correspondence which may be reviewed by a supervisory official in accordance with established procedures of departmental correspondence
• Maintain current knowledge of procedures within the student service areas and the ability to comprehend established department/university routines and apply them to specific cases in accordance with recognized policy, federal and state regulations
• Ability to verify verbally and written account summary information, financial aid awards, and other charges associated with the student bills in a professional manner; to communicate effectively and courteously with the public
• Ability to handle and resolve customer complaints and respond to inquiries via phone, email and/or in person; Perception to identify and escalate priority issues to department Office Manager; follow up customer calls where necessary;
• Accurately maintain late fees, holds and administers other minor maintenance to a student's account.
• Perform clerical work as required, such as light typing, filing, billing and mailings;
• Report to work on time, exceptional circumstances reported immediately to supervisor. Good attendance is important for important to overall department. Reasons for absenteeism should be documented as detailed in union contract.
• Assist with managing the student health insurance plan during the beginning of each fall term
• Assist in working with MSU Health Care provider to ensure accuracy of enrollment in relation to MSU invoicing for payment of the student plan; this involves daily reconciling of assessment charges and waivers.
• Has working knowledge of third party agencies to manage Banner contract for efficient maintenance of invoicing and payments especially during the beginning of the terms.
• Have a scheduled time to assist in the counter customer service.
• Responsible for attending special functions where office representation is required. This may include late night(s) and/or weekend hours.
• Responsible for working late night(s) during extended hours.
• Assist all members of the OSA office as needed with various tasks associated with AR functionality this includes but not limited to OSA emails, phone calls and counter.
• Performs other duties as assigned
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
Qualifications & Requirements
• Able to comprehend and acquire knowledge to interpret, and apply established law, regulations, policies, procedures, precedents, guidelines of department rules, and functions of the problems likely to be encountered in organizing assigned bookkeeping activities.
• Knowledge of the methods and techniques used to locate and analyze information using various customer service techniques.
• Working knowledge of semester billing, processing loan checks, applying outside scholarships and student waivers.; preferably in the Banner AR system
• Capacity to identify and log details of conversation, keywords, length of call/contact with students/parents and the result that achieved.
• Ability to prepare and supervise the preparation of clear, sound, accurate, and informative financial and other statements and reports;
• Effectively understand and explain regulations, programs and/or services to ensure customers are aware of pertinent information.
• Ability to instruct individuals and groups engaged in the work of the office; provides assistance and direction to other University departments & students/parents
• Cross-trained to answer questions concerning financial aid, registration, advising and admissions.
• Ability to deal with difficult callers, in person customers and those that provide inaccurate or incomplete information while maintaining confidentiality of student/parent financial and personal information;
• Knowledge of current VA regulations, certifying guidelines, return of funds process and other procedures pertinent to the VA Student population.
• Ability to comprehend and acquire knowledge to interpret, and apply established law, regulations, policies, procedures, precedents, guidelines of department policies.
• Minimum of five (5) years of experience in work responding to customer inquiries via phone, email and/or in person.
• Strong listening, problem analysis and solving skills.
• Organizational skills with an attention to detail when keeping varied types of records.
• Adaptability to work alone or within a team.
• Has stress tolerance and resilience when responding to challenging customers.
• Ability to work in a fast paced/demanding environment.
• Ability to work different or extended hours as needed.
Commensurate with Experience
Anticipated Start Date Open until position is filled
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
Please send your cover letter and resume in one file to: [email protected]
Apply By Review begins immediately and continues until position is filled
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION