Communications Specialist - Temporary
Posting Date February 28, 2017
Position Title Communications Specialist - Temporary
Vacancy # Temp - 022917
Department Alumni Relations
Division University Advancement
Communications Specialist - Temporary position
Given the breadth and depth of the alumni engagement program, there is a demonstrated need by Alumni Relations for communications support needed to execute its high-touch, high volume communication strategy. These tasks are currently performed by staff members as add on to existing responsibilities. We recommend the hiring of an experienced communications professional who will allow the department to meet engagement goals through the better coordination and production of all communications content and vehicles. The Communications Specialist is responsible for the day-to-day communications operations.
Montclair State University is seeking an experienced communications professional. The Communications Specialist is responsible for the day-to-day communications operations for the Office of Annual Giving and Alumni Engagement. Key elements include print, email, web, online community and social media. The position also is responsible for related tracking reports.
• Monthly e-newsletter - develop content plan, gather information, draft articles/profiles, layout and schedule delivery in broadcast e-mail tool, manage tracking and reporting.
• E-mail content development and distribution - gather information and distribute biweekly E-vents, gather information for and develop engaging communications for targeted invitations and announcements, maintain distribution schedule.
• Website - facilitate web updates and manage website projects.
• MONTCLAIRconnect - serve as point person for the online alumni community platform, facilitate content updates, develop marketing strategy to grow participation.
• Social networking - work with interns to evaluate current channels, develop strategy to grow stronger presence and deepen outreach through Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn and other highly used sites, maintain post schedule.
• Print communication - draft content, develop collateral pieces and invitations as required, coordinate content for alumni section of the magazine.
• Editing - review / edit of all internal / external communications as needed.
• Market Research - assist with development, distribution and analysis of e-surveys and coordination of roundtable discussions with key constituencies.
• WorkZone - coordinate with Communications / maintain WorkZone entries.
• Digital programs - assist in the use of digital technology to enhance the engagement program.
• Events - support events as needed.
Qualifications & Requirements
• Bachelor's degree
• Experience with digital media / content management systems
• Effective written and verbal skills
• Demonstrated willingness to be flexible and adaptable to changing priorities
• Strong multitasking and organizational skills
• Ability to quickly learn new skills
$20/hour - 25 hours a week
March 1, 2017, through June 30, 2017
Anticipated Start Date Open until position is filled
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
Please send your cover letter and resume in one file to email@example.com
Apply By Review begins immediately and continues until position is filled
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION