Rowan University seeks a dynamic fundraiser for the position of Discovery Officer. Under the direction of the Senior Vice President for University Advancement, the Discovery Officer is responsible for developing and executing strategies to engage and solicit a shifting portfolio of prospects. This individual will be responsible for building authentic relationships with these individuals and will develop and present opportunities based on the information collected through these relationships.
The successful candidate will:
• Proactively manage a consistently shifting portfolio of prospects, with independent responsibility to develop and execute strategies to engage and provide primary source information from these individuals.
• Secure visits with and establish early visit solicitation and investments from these individuals to leverage each donor’s interests and connect them to Rowan University’s opportunities.
• Actively collaborate with University Advancement colleagues to establish appropriate engagement strategies guided by the direction and scope of a prospect’s interest.
• Secure and/or guide the development of written collateral materials within the context of University priorities for engaging prospects and securing gifts.
• Work effectively in the prospect management and tracking system (Millennium).
• Work closely with Advancement management to coordinate solicitations and ask strategies.
• Work with central and unit-based development officers, Advancement colleagues and University leadership to identify, cultivate and solicit gifts.
• Travel as necessary to execute strategic development plans.
• Execute core fundraising metrics including early prospect outreach (cold calling), in-person visits, identification of new prospects and growth in cumulative giving, dollars raised and donors secured.
• Ensure proper stewardship and recognition of donors in his/her portfolio.
• Serve as a resource to development colleagues regarding fundraising opportunities.
• Adapt duties to best fit the needs of an evolving Division.
Skills and Abilities:
• Knowledge of principles and techniques of development/fundraising, preferably in higher education.
• Strong and collegial interpersonal skills and an ability to communicate effectively in person, in writing and by phone.
• Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality and responsibility regarding information related to Foundation and University business and confidential prospect information.
• Self-starter able to secure personal appointments and qualify new prospects.
• Demonstrated achievement in securing philanthropic investments.
• Ability to work independently.
• Ability to travel as necessary to engage and solicit prospects.
• Problem solver who can take initiative and set priorities while being flexible.
• Team-oriented strategist able to effectively manage complex situations involving numerous and sometimes competing constituencies.
• Ability to represent the institution well.
• Belief in the vision and mission of Rowan University.
• Attention to detail and thoroughness in completing assigned duties.
• Highly organized and able to handle multiple projects.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and ability to work in donor/prospect data base systems.
• Collaborative style combined with the ability and desire to work in a team-based environment.
• Adept at navigating complex environments with evolving priorities and communications plans.
• Bachelor’s degree required.
• One year of successful professional development and/or fundraising-related experience, preferably in a higher education environment
Contact:Interested applicants must submit a cover letter highlighting related education and experience, a resume, and the names and contact information for at least three (3) references. Please apply online athttp://rowanuniversity.hodesiq.com/job-details.aspx?jobid=5411105
Rowan University values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity in employment. All positions are contingent upon budget appropriations.