Manager of Employment Services (Administrator II)
Manager of Employment Services (Administrator II)
Job ID: 101956
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 3312
Job Grade: Range A
Salary and Hours The salary is competitive and is negotiable depending on the strength of qualifications. This is a CSU Management Personnel Plan (MPP) position with an attractive package, which includes but is not limited to: a vacation accrual rate of 16 hours per month; 12 paid holidays; excellent choice of medical, dental and vision insurance, long term disability coverage, life insurance; and retirement benefits.
Salary: Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Hours: Monday - Friday; 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Job Summary Working independently, under general direction of the Associate Vice President for Employee Services, incumbent will oversee and supervise the Employment Services Unit of the Office of Human Resources. Responsibilities include administering and ensuring adherence to state and federal employment laws, collective bargaining and applicable policies, procedures, and guidelines of Sacramento State and the CSU. Incumbent provides expertise in evaluating complex employment related issues and is responsible for employment functions including assistance with the planning and completion of Sacramento State staff and management (MPP) recruitments. Incumbent also oversee the implementation of the Student Employment Office. Incumbent will also work collaboratively with the Classification & Compensation, Benefits and Payroll units, as well as all other units within the Office of Human Resources. Responsibilities include oversight and processing of documents and records, gathering data, preparing standard reports, and interacting with and solving problems for customers and unit staff.
This position is a Higher Education Employer-Employee Relations Act (HEERA) designated managerial position and comes under the Management Personnel Plan (MPP) of the California State University. Individuals appointed to management positions serve at the pleasure of the President or designee. They are excluded from the collective bargaining process, are not subject to probationary service, and do not receive tenure or permanent status. This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
This position is a "designated position" in the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. The successful candidate accepting this position is required to file Conflict of Interest forms subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission.
For more information on the Office of Human Resources, please visit: http://www.csus.edu/hr/ Benefits/FLSA This position is defined in the Management Personnel Plan (MPP) of the California State University. It is excluded from the collective bargaining process and is also exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
For more information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the California State University visit: http://www.csus.edu/hr/departments/benefits/benefitsprograms.html Required Qualifications EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in human resources, public or business administration,
psychology or a related field. (Possession of additional qualifying experience may be
substituted for the required degree on a year for year basis.)
- Three years of full-time experience working with recruitment, selection, classification and
compensation and employment transactions, which included at least two years of full-time
supervising of subordinate professional, paraprofessional and support staff.
- Thorough knowledge of staffing, recruitment and selection processes, attracting, screening of
qualified applicants, and negotiating offers.
- Working knowledge of applicable federal, state, and local regulations related to employment
and recruitment such as DOL, EEOC, FLSA.
- General knowledge of the principles, practices and trends of recruitment and employment
- General knowledge of interviewing skills and techniques.
- Working knowledge of principals of management and organizational structure.
- Proficiency in the use of standard office equipment (computers, copiers, phones, fax) and
computer software such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint, and database
- Expertise with word processing and spreadsheet design.
- Excellent written and verbal skills and the demonstrated competence to effectively present
information in either format.
- Excellent customer service orientation.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to work with employees at all levels of the
University and applicants.
- A high degree of personal motivation, independent judgment, and persuasiveness.
- A commitment to continuous improvement and a continued working knowledge of current
issues and trends.
- Demonstrated professionalism, integrity, and openness.
- Excellent organizational, time management, collaboration, and active listening skills.
- Possess sound judgment and be sensitive to issues of policy and process.
- Make decisions with logic and reason drawing valid conclusions, applying independent
judgment, discretion, and initiative to address complex employment related issues and when
precedents do not exist develop practical, thorough and creative solutions.
- Independently apply and interpret a wide variety of complex procedures, agreements,
polices, and regulations where specific guidelines may not exist, and be able to identify
deviations from applicable policies and take action.
- Adhere to strict confidentiality and a high ethical standard.
- Use tact, diplomacy and discretion when handling sensitive and/or confidential matters or
- Carry out responsibilities in accordance with university policies and applicable laws.
- Represent the university in a highly professional manner.
- Communicate effectively in a variety of formats to a broad range of audiences.
- Respond to questions in a highly effective manner, providing timely and meaningful feedback
or other desired information.
- Manage heavy workload with multiple priorities and projects with frequent interruptions and
changes while effectively providing excellent customer service.
- Relate to a diverse variety of staff, faculty, students, and community members.
- Collect, analyze and utilize data, statistics, or other information to establish facts, draw valid
conclusions, and act accordingly to the information.
- Work with mathematical concepts.
- Adjust to change (e.g., work environment, technology).
- Perform assigned duties with accuracy and attention to detail. Required Qualifications - Experience working at an institution of higher education.
- Experience working in a unionized environment.
- Experience working in a public agency or government setting.
- Experience working with CMS PeopleSoft and/or applicant tracking databases.
- General knowledge of CSU and campus policies and procedures related to recruitment and
selection. Eligibility Verification - Selected candidate will be required to provide proof of eligibility to work in the U.S.
- Candidate will be required to provide evidence of degree(s) earned. Background Check A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with California State University, Sacramento. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current California State University, Sacramento employees who apply for the position. Conflict of Interest The duties of this position include participation in decisions that may have a material financial benefit to the incumbent. Therefore, the selected candidate will be required to file Conflict of Interest Form 700: Statement of Economic Interest when they first occupy the position, and on an annual basis, complete ethics training within 6 months of appointment, and attend this training every other year thereafter. Child Abuse and Neglect Report The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in the California State University Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment. Equal Employment Opportunity California State University, Sacramento is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. Sacramento State hires only those individuals who are lawfully authorized to accept employment in the United States.
It is the policy of California State University, Sacramento to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified persons with disabilities who are employees or applicants for employment. If you need a disability related reasonable accommodation as part of the application and/or interviewing process, visit http://www.csus.edu/hr/departments/equal-opportunity/index.html
The University is committed to creating an education and working environment free from discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. For more information on mandatory training for new employees, visit http://www.csus.edu/hr/departments/equal-opportunity/Information%20for%20Job%20Applicants.html
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Fire Safety Right-To-know Act Notification. For additional information, visit http://www.csus.edu/aba/police/ Application Deadline Applications received by March 8, 2017, will be considered in the first review process and will continue until the position is filled. How To Apply The California State University, Sacramento has retained a Recruitment Consultant to assist the campus with this search.
To ensure consideration, applicants must submit the following materials electronically to:
Ms. Andrea Weiss
The following materials must be submitted:
1. Cover Letter. If you currently hold a tenured faculty position and you are interested in retreat
rights to tenured faculty position at Sacramento State, please let us know in your cover letter.
2. Current curriculum vitae/resume.
3. Three (3) professional references who can speak to a broad range of candidate's
professional qualifications (including name, title, email address and telephone number).
***THIS IS A VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT ONLY. Please do not apply through California State University, Sacramento website.***
To apply, visit: http://www.csus.edu/about/employment/