Support Professional, Communications
Date: February 28, 2017
Title: Support Professional, Communications
Position Number: 778
Hours: 40 hours per week/52 weeks
Salary: APSS, Level B, $16.66
Reports to: Director of Communications
Close Date: March 14, 2017
The support professional is responsible for Communications Department office management, which includes, but is not limited to, administrative support to the director of communications, budget management, providing back-up support to colleagues, and contributing to the effective and efficient operations of department work.
Essential Job Functions
- Provide high-level administrative support to the Director of Communications.
- Maintain discretion when dealing with sensitive and/or confidential information, and maintain accurate files, records and office activities in strict confidence.
- Provide office management support to the communications department, including, but not limited to, file management, mail handling, note taking and supply ordering; oversee use of communications department conference room.
- Serve as the first point of contact for Director’s scheduling needs and as the liaison with other college and community offices; maintain appointment calendar, work schedules, and critical timelines.
- Monitor, audit and reconcile communications department budget transactions.
- Assist with travel arrangements and prepare expense reimbursements, as needed.
- Manage 25Live content approval queue and provide educational outreach to the campus community about utilizing 25Live as an activities and events promotions tool.
- Maintain schedule of digital sign and grcc.edu homepage banner updates, including creating and posting content.
- Manage college photo repository and provide art direction and project management for college photo and video shoots.
- Provide backup to the GRCC switchboard, as needed.
- Provide backup to the communications specialist, as needed.
- Field and track emails and phone calls from media and vendors.
- Assist in management of GRCC’s social media accounts.
- Assist the Promotions Manager with project management tasks, as needed.
- Assist the Director of Communications with emergency (crisis) communications, as needed.
- Accurately update or assist with development of various departmental, internal, or public documents.
- Create and distribute monthly GRCC events calendar to the president’s office and local media calendars.
- Purchase and distribute promotional items for donations, special events, and special interest groups on and off campus, as needed.
- Participate as a member of the team managing the evolution of the college’s website (collaborative team includes communications, admissions and enrollment, and IT departments).
- Represent the department on college teams, as needed.
- Exhibit a working knowledge of college departments and services available for faculty, staff, students and the community. Greet visitors, students, members of the college and the public, and respond appropriately to requests made in-person or via telephone or email from individuals regarding the college, projects, events, etc.
- Regular attendance during normal scheduled hours is required. Being present is essential for serving customers and performing the essential functions of this position.
- Other duties as assigned by Director of Communications.
- Associate’s degree required, bachelor’s degree preferred.
- National Career Readiness Certificate (NCRC) preferred.
- Minimum of 3-5 years administrative support experience in a communications-related role, with advanced copy writing skills preferred.
- Prior experience in a higher education setting desired.
- Must possess excellent proofreading skills and have the aptitude for detail work, including record-keeping and filing.
- Must meet minimum standards of the APSS testing process (testing components: Ability to type a minimum of 45-50 words per minute; 70% proficient in language arts; 80% proficient in edit/format letter, paragraph retrieval to format a letter, and data entry; and 90% proficient in math) plus possess excellent proofreading skills and have aptitude for detail work including record keeping and filing and preparation of financial reports and documents. An in basket assignment may be required.
- Ability to adapt and work in a team-based, collaborative environment.
- Advanced copywriting skills.
- Customer service-oriented, with the ability to relate well to faculty, staff, students and the community.
- Excellent oral/written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and PeopleSoft Financial Services, with a willingness to learn to use new software tools, as needed.
- Ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines while possessing mature judgment and flexibility with regards to interruptions.
- Strong organizational skills to manage multiple projects at one time.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Willingness to learn new skills by practicing quality improvement.
- High level of creativity, energy, enthusiasm and motivation.
- Must possess initiative and be able to work independently, making decisions as necessary.
- Ability to use good judgment when handling confidential, or sensitive, college material.
- Office/desk work.
Method of Application
To apply for this position, please visit our website at www.grcc.edu/jobs Grand Rapids Community College is only accepting online applications for this position. Submit a cover letter and resume in one document. The opportunity to apply for this position will close on March 14, 2017 at 11:59 PM ET. Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Grand Rapids Community College creates an inclusive learning and working environment that recognizes the value and dignity of each person. It is the policy and practice of GRCC to provide equal educational and employment opportunities regardless of age, race, color, religion, marital status, sex/gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, height, weight, national origin, disability, political affiliation, familial status, veteran status or genetics in all programs, activities, services, employment and advancement including admissions to, access to, treatment in, or compensation in employment as required by state and federal law. GRCC is committed to reviewing all aspects of GRCC programs, activities, services and employment, including recruitment, selection, retention and promotion to identify and eliminate barriers in order to prevent discrimination on the basis of the listed protected characteristics. The college will not tolerate any form of retaliation against any person for bringing charges of discrimination or participating in an investigation. Further information may be obtained from the EEO Office or the Office of General Counsel, 143 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503-3295.