Director of the Babson Center for Global Commerce
Sewanee, The University of the South seeks nominations and applications for the position of Director of the Babson Center for Global Commerce.
The University of the South (familiarly known as Sewanee, the town in which the University is located) is one of the nation's finest universities. An institution of the Episcopal Church, with a distinguished undergraduate College of Arts and Sciences, a leading graduate School of Theology, and an innovative School of Letters offering summer master's degree programs in literature and creative writing.
The Babson Center for Global Commerce is an essential element of the Wm. Polk Carey Pre-Business Program, providing a co-curricular program of mentorship, educational, and experiential learning activities that enable students to engage in society as principled citizens better able to succeed and lead in the global economy.
The Center's programs and activities are designed to introduce students to the education, issues, and skills necessary to succeed in an engaged and responsible business career; to provide intellectual and moral development, professional encouragement, career advice, and networking opportunities to students; to assist students seeking internships and post-graduate employment opportunities; to bring distinguished leaders and other speakers to the University; and to organize programs that bring together students, faculty members, and members of the business community.
The Center supports the University's beliefs that the best preparation for a career in global commerce is a broad-based liberal arts education. Thus the Babson Center for Global Commerce is where the University, with its concern for civic leadership, international and global studies, liberal arts education, and the business world come together to assist students in preparing for successful careers as civic and business leaders. Many of today's leaders attribute their success to the study of the human experience and the critical thinking abilities, writing, speaking and listening skills at the core of the liberal arts tradition at Sewanee.
Reporting to the Vice President for Academic Affairs and Dean of the College, the Director designs and implements a co-curricular program of educational and experiential learning activities to prepare students as principled citizens better able to succeed and lead in a global economy. The Director is responsible for leading and directing the ongoing vision and administration of the Babson Center, working collaboratively with Director of the Business Minor and the Director of Career and Leadership Development to oversee the growth and strategic direction of the Wm. Polk Carey Pre-Business Program, helping the program to mature as a premier pre-professional model for undergraduate business education in a liberal arts setting.
The Director oversees a team of two and a budget of approximately $385,000. The Babson Center for Global Commerce offers an endowment of nearly $4,000,000.
- Oversee and administer the day-to-day functions of the Center.
- Work closely with alumni and others to maintain and build upon a robust suite of internship opportunities for the Carey Fellows program.
- Serve as mentor and coach students who show an interest in the activities of the Center and the business minor, particularly the Carey Fellows.
- Oversee the appointment of Carey Fellows and Beecken Scholars annually.
- Teach two classes a year (one per semester).
- Working with the Advancement Office, engage alumni, parents and friends of the University to support the programs and events of the Center through financial contribution and participation.
- Oversee and administer several established programs such as the Graham Executive in Residence, the Bryan Viewpoint Speaker series and Humphreys Entrepreneur in Residence.
- Actively engage in and lead conversations with administration, faculty, students, alumni and the community to increase awareness and interaction with the Babson Center.
- Administer, engage and coordinate the role and functions of the Babson Center Advisory Board and its members, including holding two meetings a year.
- Leverage the energies, experiences, and talents of the Advisory Board members, alumni, and friends of the University to further the goals of the Center.
- Other duties as assigned.
Desired Qualifications and Characteristics:
The successful candidate will be an approachable and collaborative leader able to forge a vision for the Center and the role of business education at the University. The individual will be a creative and nimble leader with an entrepreneurial mind and the soul of a teacher.
Qualifications include a strong and demonstrated commitment to the principles and values of a liberal arts education; significant management experience; and a record that demonstrates skills as a leader, team builder and effective communicator. A bachelor's degree is required and an advanced degree is strongly preferred.
For best consideration, please send all confidential nominations, inquiries, and expressions of interest by March 25, 2017 to:
Susan VanGilder, Partner
Beth McCarthy, Associate
Storbeck/Pimentel & Associates, LP
Apply for Director of the Babson Center for Global Commerce
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly