Assistant Director of Housing Information - University Housing (A1700113)
ASSISTANT DIRECTOR HOUSING INFORMATION
The Assistant Director of Housing Information is responsible for directing the day-to-day operation of the Housing Information Office (HIO). The position serves the needs of approximately 11,000 undergraduate and graduate students by organizing housing outreach and contract functions. The Assistant Director of Housing Information serves as the primary contact for students living with undergraduate and graduate residence halls and as a liaison between Housing, Private Certified Housing and multiple campus and community stakeholders. The Assistant Director of Housing Information manages large, complicated data structures and contractual processes and ensures staff have the resources necessary to provide exceptional customer service. The Assistant Director of Housing Information collaborates with all University Housing units, Student Affairs, University staff, and community partners.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Direct the day-to-day operation of the Housing Information Office including, but not limited to: occupancy management, outreach, customer services, data analysis, and accurate reporting.
- Hire, train, develop, and supervise the Housing Information Office staff. Provide direct supervision of Private Certified Housing Coordinator and Housing Representative Staff (2), and indirect supervision of student staff (6-8).
- Train staff to respond to routine housing contract issues, policy questions and appeals via phone, email, and personal contact with students, parents, family members, faculty, and staff, with attention to FERPA guidelines. Exercise complex decision-making skills related to dissatisfied customers.
- Facilitate positive interpersonal interactions between professional staff and maintain a positive work environment. Provide feedback on performance and establish respective professional development plans.
- Responsible for occupancy functions related to the University Residence Halls; including coordinating and supervising billing, room assignments and change requests, and other contract related business throughout the Residence Hall System.
- Advise students on campus housing alternatives, including University-owned residence halls, apartments, and private-certified housing units. Work closely with Residential Life, Family and Graduate Housing, Division of Intercollegiate Athletics, and faculty in establishing, promoting, and assigning students to special interest housing and/or Living Learning Communities.
- Oversee billing procedures, including special programs such as break, early arrival, exchange programs, and student athlete housing.
- Serve as the housing contact for students requesting special accommodations, including work with Disability Resources and Educational Services (DRES), LGBT Resource Center, McKinley Health Center, University Housing Dietitian, and University Counseling Center. Analyze and recommend changes to processes based upon trends in special student populations.
- Represent and speak publicly on behalf of University Housing at various admissions/recruiting events for students, families and guests throughout the year. This includes large group sessions and intimate question/answer events.
- Supervise the operation of related database and web-based systems, providing comprehensive training and support to end-users. Recommend operational and strategic improvements to existing systems.
- Manage high level strategic planning tasks and recommend improvements to business procedures.
- Exercise sound judgment in navigating politically charged relationships and conversations with campus, community, and customer stakeholders.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE
- Candidates must possess a master's degree.
- A minimum of 3 years of demonstrated supervisory experience of full-time staff. Strong supervisory skills in managing a diverse staff team are required.
- Demonstrated skills in working with a large and diverse group of people, sound oral and written communication and interpersonal skills, and ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Demonstrated customer support skills to effectively present information and respond to colleagues and others seeking direction/guidance.
- Ability to work in an integrated team environment.
- Excellent problem-solving skills to address difficult, complex issues; effective multi-tasking capability.
- Ability to prioritize responsibilities to meet stringent deadlines and handle unexpected matters of urgency.
- Report processing experience.
- Four or more years of demonstrated supervisory experience of full-time staff.
- Strong public-speaking experience.
- Experience working with Private Certified Housing on the Illinois campus or similar experience with a third-party private housing relationship.
- Knowledge of University of Illinois business policies and procedures.
- This position reports to the Associate Director of Housing for Housing Information and Marketing who reports to the Director of University Housing.
- This position hires and supervises three (3) full-time staff: Coordinator for Housing Information - Private Certified Housing, and two Housing Representatives.
- This position has regular contact with many University Housing employees, University staff, and the general public, including, but not limited to: Technology Services, Private Certified Housing staff, Dean of Students Office, Fraternity & Sorority Affairs, New Student Programs, Financial Aid, University Student Financial Services and Cashiering Operations, Enrollment Management, McKinley Health Center, Division of Intercollegiate Athletics, prospective students and families.
Contract and salary for this regular Academic Professional appointment begins as soon as possible after the close date. Starting salary is commensurate with experience and includes an excellent benefits package.
For full consideration create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload pdf versions of a cover letter of application, a resume, and the names, addresses, email addresses, and phone numbers of three professional references by March 27, 2017.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
Please contact a Housing Human Resources Representative at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you may have.
We encourage all applicants to learn more about the Department, Housing, the University of Illinois and the Urbana-Champaign community by visiting our candidate website: http://www.housing.illinois.edu/Staff/Employment/
Illinois is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or criminal conviction history. Illinois welcomes individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and ideas who embrace and value diversity and inclusivity. (www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu).
Organization Name: Housing Division
College Name or Administrative Unit: University Housing
Category: Academic Professional
Open Date: 02/27/2017
Close Date: 03/27/2017