Director, Public Relations and Communications, AFREDRCTREXTR
The Director of Public Relations and Communications is responsible for: Media Relations, Community Relations and the WDCB Radio Station. This position reports to the President, and serves as the College’s chief media spokesperson maintaining relationships with reporters and editors at media outlets to facilitate the dissemination of College information, setting up interviews with College leadership and working to promote positive media attention for the College. This position also provides direction for the development and delivery of consistent messages/branding and communication from the College to its internal/external stakeholders and counterparts within the education community.
Position Title: Director, Public Relations and Communications, AFREDRCTREXTR
Duties of Position:
- Serve as the College spokesperson and lead point person on media interactions that help promote and/or impact the College.
- Serve on President's Cabinet, collaborating with Senior leadership to develop communications strategies that will broaden programmatic reach and deepen impact.
- Exercise judgment to prioritize media opportunities and prepare talking points, speeches, presentations and other supporting material as needed.
- Actively engage, cultivate, and manage press relationships to ensure appropriate coverage surrounding College programs, special events, public announcements, etc.
- Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by the College. Work with leadership team and staff to recognize internal and external communication opportunities and solutions, and define/execute appropriate strategies to support them.
- Actively provide guidance and preparation to the President and/or the Board of Trustees for College-related community and media exposure opportunities.
- Manage the College's news releases, feature stories, public service announcements, advertising, photography, video promotion programs and special events.
- Manage and strengthen the relationships with various external organizations and constituents to enhance the community's appreciation and understanding of the College.
- Oversee and/or manage the events that College employees participate in (COD Cares) to further enhance positive community relations.
- Lead public relations and communications support to the public and College community in crisis management situations; disseminate all emergency and non-emergency communications as appropriate.
- Oversee the planning, organizing, managing, and budgeting for the facilities, equipment, finances and personnel of the WDCB radio station, and their relationships to all areas of the College.
- Lead the strategic planning and delivery of new and traditional forms of electronic, digital and social media as it relates to the College's overall communication plan.
- Partner with the Marketing Department on oversight of the College website.
- Ensure proper supervision, evaluation and professional development of all personnel within areas of oversight and management.
- Develop and administer annual budget for all areas of oversight and management in concert with institutional priorities.
- Manage the Freedom of Information Officer for the College.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the President.
Experience and Education:
Minimum five (5) years' leadership experience in Public Relations, Communications, Journalism or related fields. Candidate must have extensive press contacts and experience in handling difficult media issues. Demonstrated ability and skill in working with internal and external stakeholders to strengthen the integration of economic, workforce, and community development systems.
Bachelor’s degree in Public Relations, Communications, Journalism, Business Administration, or related field, from an accredited college or university.
Same as above with five (5) years' of public relations leadership experience in a community college, higher education or government environment. Demonstrated skills in providing public relations support to executive level personnel i.e. President/CEO, Board Chairman, etc. Bilingual fluency (Spanish) preferred.
Master’s degree in Public Relations, Communications, Journalism, Business Administration, or related field from an accredited college or university.
Equipment & Working Conditions:
Standard office equipment and software.
General office environment. Must be able to work evenings/ weekends as necessary and carry out additional duties, events and programs as required.
This position requires a background check and drug screen.
Department: External Relations - EXTR
Position Type: Full time - FT
Pay Type: Salary Exempt