Temporary Payroll Clerk
Located in the foothills of Oakland, California, in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, Mills College is a nationally renowned independent liberal arts college for women with graduate programs for women and men. Since 1852, we've been empowering students to become creative, independent thinkers who take and inspire action. For more information, visit http://www.mills.edu.
Job Status: Temporary Non-Exempt
Reports to: SR Payroll Administrator
Summary of Position:
Under the direction of the Chief HR Officer and in coordination with the SR payroll Administrator, the temporary payroll clerk performs a broad range of administrative functions of employee services team. The temporary payroll clerk will handle data entry, filing, time-entry maintenance and auditing of various payroll functions.
Essential Job Functions:
• Auditing Non Exempt employee timesheets for FLSA rules
• Alphabetizing timesheets
• Auditing/processing student employment documents
• Auditing payroll data entry reports
• Auditing payroll registers for non-exempt payroll
• Filing payroll documents
• Picking up Employee Services/Payroll mail from the mail and copy center
• Assist with employment verification
• Customer Service: Respond to all student employment related inquiries
• Other duties as assigned
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
• When necessary, serve as back up for other staff in the office.
• Establish and maintain effective and productive working relationships within a diverse and multicultural environment
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Demonstrated ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality
• Ability to maintain accurate attention to detail
• Advanced knowledge of MS Access and Excel skills
• Effective written and verbal communication skills to a range of audiences
• Knowledge of higher education preferable
Education and Training:
• A minimum of a Bachelor Degree and/or 1-2 years of experience in Payroll/HR
This position description is not intended to contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties, or responsibilities. Additional duties may be assigned based on business operational needs.
This is a temporary, part-time position which requires 3-4 hours a day and will continue for 3-6 months; hourly wage is $20-25 per hour, depending on experience. Mandated benefits, including Social Security, State Disability Insurance, Workers' Compensation, Unemployment Insurance, and sick leave are included.
Mills College does not permit discrimination based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religious creed, color, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity. For more information on Mills' non-discrimination policy, please go to http://www.mills.edu/administration/administrative_offices/policies/nondiscrimination.php
Please submit your resume, cover letter, and 3 references, along with the Mills online application at
Review of applicants will begin immediately; applications will be accepted until the position is filled.