HR Specialist - Student/Faculty Employment
HR Specialist - Student/Provost
Located in the foothills of Oakland, California, in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, Mills College is a nationally renowned independent liberal arts college for women with graduate programs for women and men. Since 1852, we've been empowering students to become creative, independent thinkers who take and inspire action. For more information, visit http://www.mills.edu.
Job Status: Non Exempt
Reports to: Chief HR Officer &amp; Provost/Faculty Personnel
(Role is 50/50 shared between both areas)
Summary of Position:
Under the direction of the Chief HR Officer and in coordination with the Provost, the HR Specialist - Student/Faculty Employment performs a broad range of administrative and technical assistance for a major function of the College; provide administrative and technical support of the intake of all student and faculty hires. As it relates to Student Employment, the HR Specialist will handle all data entry, I9 verification, time-entry maintenance and employment requirement in coordination with the Career Services Team. As it is relates to Faculty Employment, the HR Specialist will coordinate the onboarding and monitoring of ranked, as well as, adjunct faculty, including the administration and support of the union contract.
Essential Job Functions:
50% Student Employment:
• Maintain oversight of all student employment documentation
• Administer student personnel records and the necessary documents for human resources to facilitate payment (payroll)
• Data Entry of all student hire paperwork into HRIS system
• Facilitate hire process for all Student orientation functions
• In coordination with HRIS Administrator, act as point of contact for all student report request(s)
• Draft communications for student employees regarding time entry, hours requirements and all employment related matters
• Customer Service: Respond to all student employment related inquiries
• Document /maintain student hire process and attend relevant meeting/committees as required
• In concert with the Employee Service staff, maintain update information on the Employee Service's webpage(s)
• Work closely with the Chief HR Officer on special projects/assignments
• Other duties as assigned
50% Faculty Employment:
• Administer faculty academic and personnel records; assist with faculty salary administration, including the support of contract preparation and the necessary documents for finance and human resources to facilitate payment (payroll and one-time), issuance of College ID, an email address, library access, etc.
• Enter, maintain and update faculty records into the HRIS database
• Maintain documentation of adjunct faculty and assist in supporting the management of the SEIU contract
• Assist in providing support for the Appointment Promotion and Tenure Committee (APT), and the SEIU Labor Management Committee
• Assist in the development and preparation of reports, including sabbatical reports, faculty kudos reports, etc. for the Board and related subcommittees; financial and statistical reports, the completion of annual reporting and surveys (i.e., AAUP, Facts &amp; Trends, CIC surveys, insurance, etc.)., and respond to other requests regarding faculty
• Assist in preparing communications to faculty regarding tenure and promotion decisions, appointment of endowed chairs and faculty emeriti
• Respond to questions requiring knowledge of faculty personnel policies
• Provide technical assistance to other staff in areas of such as record keeping, and budget preparation
• Assist the Faculty Personnel Manager with a variety of administrative tasks
• Other duties as assigned
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
• When necessary, serve as back-up for other staff in the office. Format, type and edit a variety of complex material from dictation, rough draft or notes, including budgets, contracts, letters, memoranda, agenda, minutes of meetings, reports, and filing.
• Establish and maintain effective and productive working relationships within a diverse and multicultural environment
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Demonstrated ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality
• Ability to maintain accurate attention to detail
• Advanced knowledge of MS Access and Excel skills
• Effective written and verbal communication skills to a range of audiences
• Knowledge of higher education preferable
Education and Training:
• A minimum of a Bachelor Degree and/or 1-2 years of experience in Payroll/HR
This position description is not intended to contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties, or responsibilities. Additional duties may be assigned based on business operational needs.
Salary is $50,000-$55,000 annually and includes an excellent benefits package including medical/dental/vision/life/LTD insurance/403(b) retirement plan, 10 days of vacation the first year, 15 days for years 2-9, and 22 days for years 10 and up; 12 sick days and 10 paid holidays annually. Staff members also receive free admission to campus events, use of the pool, fitness center, and tennis courts. Tuition remission is also available after an introductory period.
Mills College does not permit discrimination based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religious creed, color, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity. For more information on Mills' non-discrimination policy, please go to http://www.mills.edu/administration/administrative_offices/policies/nondiscrimination.php
To apply, please submit the following at https://mills.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=81733:
• cover letter
• contact information for three professional references
• salary requirements
There are no relocation funds available for this position.
Review of applicants will begin immediately; applications will be accepted until the position is filled.