Fine Arts Instructor
Position Title: Fine Art Instructor
Reports To: Fine Arts Department Head
Anticipated Starting Date: Fall 2017
Expected Starting Salary: $43,257 - $55,843
Excellent benefit package, including medical, dental, paid sick leave, and tuition benefit. For more details about benefits, go to https://www.nmc.edu/hr/ and click on Salaries and Benefits, or request a copy from the Office of Human Resources.
Northwestern Michigan College is a publicly funded community college that serves people, organizations and businesses. We serve more than 50,000 learners annually throughout the Grand Traverse region and beyond.
NMC is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic community committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from minorities and individuals from other traditionally underrepresented groups.
This is a full-time teaching position in the Fine Art Department which includes studio courses and recitation instruction in the following courses: Drawing I, II, Life Drawing, Design Foundations courses, Painting (including Watercolor), Printmaking (Relief, Etching, Engraving Lithography), and Materials and Techniques for Illustration in Visual Communications. This position requires participation in all advising, committee, and departmental activities including student exhibitions, department/ division meetings and recruiting. The ability to continue curricular development of the listed courses and manage studio facilities for these courses is required.
The instructor will also maintain art equipment and inventories, and to develop and revise courses as needed. Responsibilities may include the possibility of teaching night, weekend, and online courses. This individual must be able to work independently as well as collaborate with others, and follow teaching effectiveness guidelines. This person will enjoy working with diverse populations, have good listening skills and the ability to understand the needs of others, be able to deal with interruptions in a patient manner, and maintain a high work ethic and integrity. The successful candidate will have the ability to be engaging to students in the learning process, be approachable, organized, and support the College mission.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, CERTIFICATES and LICENSES
- Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) degree from an accredited four-year college or university with three years related experience in the Fine Arts or related field.
- Design experience and expertise on the Macintosh platform and related graphic design software with knowledge and experience in the planning and creation of Fine Art (Drawing), or Illustration and Multimedia courses.
- A professional portfolio of fine art work with an emphasis on Drawing and Two dimensional Media.
- Master of Fine Arts (MFA) degree with an emphasis in Drawing or Design.
- Teaching experience at the community college level.
- A strong record of teaching, exhibitions, and published work.
- Able to describe how multicultural issues have been or will be brought into courses
- Previous experience teaching or mentoring minorities or members of other underrepresented groups that relate to this position
FOUNDATIONAL COMPETENCIES: Essential for all NMC employees
- Ethical behavior and integrity
- Commitment to quality service, responsible stewardship, continuous improvement
- Agility/adaptability/tolerance for ambiguity
- Accountability/personal responsibility
- Commitment to lifelong learning
- Create/Contribute to a culture of innovation and thoughtful risk-taking
- Collaboration/Team work
- Value all people
Supervises others in accordance with NMC's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding, recognizing employees; addressing performance problems or gaps.
This is a full-time, 40+ hour per week position.
Applications submitted by 4:30 pm on 3/27/2017 will receive first consideration. Join NMC for a career where you will be part of an organization with history, a legacy, and possibility! Applications must be submitted online. For more information, visit NMC on the web at http://www.nmc.edu/jobs For assistance call 231-995-1377 or 1-800-748-0566 x51377 or email email@example.com .
Non-Discrimination Policy Notice
Northwestern Michigan College is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, disability, genetic information, height, weight, marital status or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities and admissions. nmc.edu/nondiscrimination
Michigan Law requires that a person with a disability or handicap requiring accommodation for employment must notify the employer in writing within 182 days after the need is known.