Access Services Specialist & Course Reserve Specialist
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus
Health Sciences Library
Access Services Specialist & Course Reserves Coordinator
Position #217217 - Requisition 08637
The Access Services Department of the Health Sciences Library (HSL) exists to meet the information needs of health science faculty, staff, and students and other library users by providing: opening/closing of the library; circulation and lending of materials; patron database coordination and library accounts management; customer services desk for questions and user support; interlibrary loan borrowing and document delivery services to fulfill requests from users and libraries; high-density storage services; information assistance, answering & triaging reference questions; support to the IT, AV and room support needs of library users. Access Services also engages in advertising and marketing of services and supports the outreach activities of the library and its committees.
This Access Services Specialist is responsible for providing customer services, opening and closing of the library on weekends, staffing the customer service desk answering information and reference questions, assisting users with library technology, and helping users to search and navigate discovery systems to find appropriate resources. The position is primarily responsible for managing course reserves, training and managing of student assistant employees, evening oversight and backup of library closing as needed, and a large amount of customer service desk coverage on a weekly basis. The position manages and coordinates department supplies, and provides support to keeping statistics like library's gate count, and assists with collection of user feedback as directed. The position works on library committees and other special projects as assigned.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is $34,106 - $40,000 and is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience. This position is eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- Bachelor's degree in Library Sciences, English, Communication or a closely related field.
- Experience working in a library that included providing service to library patrons, utilizing library systems, etc. may substitute for the bachelor's degree on a year-for-year basis.
- A master's degree in Library Sciences, English, Communication or a closely related field may substitute for the bachelor's degree.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be willing and able to lift and carry up to 30 pounds on an occasional basis with or without accommodation.
- Must be willing and able to bend, stoop and kneel on a frequent basis with or without accommodation..
- Must be willing and able to walk and stand for long periods of time on a frequent basis, with or without accommodation.
- Two years experience working in library service area with appropriate automated systems, such as: Circulation, Course Reserves, Interlibrary Loan LibGuides, LibAnswers and other reference question software to provide answers to customers in various modes such as email, chat, etc.
- Integrated Library Management System (ILS or ILMS such as Innovative, ALMA, Polaris, etc.)
- Experience instructing library patrons on how to begin library research processes, use of electronic databases, use of computerized catalog systems, the Internet, and print resources;
- Experience supervising and training student assistants or other part-time employees;
- Proficient with both Windows PC operating system and Apple MAC operating system.
- Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written form, which includes the ability to check for typographical, grammatical and spelling errors and document procedures in written form;
- Beginning to intermediate skills using Microsoft Office applications such as Outlook, Excel (to maintain statistics, data, and information), and Word (to develop, edit and update reports, handouts and correspondence).
- Knowledge of utilizing library search tools to search and retrieve information from electronic databases and computer systems;
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills with the ability to establish rapport with persons of diverse backgrounds which also includes experience working with internal and external contacts, such as students, staff, faculty, vendors, or publishers;
- Must possess a professional demeanor and have experience that demonstrates ability to interpret complex rules, regulations, policies, procedures, and guidelines; problem solving skills;
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and project; meet multiple deadlines; work independently with minimal supervision;
- The successful candidate will be detail oriented, self-motivated, a fast learner and possess excellent time management, organizational, written and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to work in a team environment, collaborate with co-workers, and maintain good working relations at all times.
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers * REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A cover letter/letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2) A current resume/CV. 3) List of 3-5 professional references. Questions should be directed to Jason Leach at Jason.Leach@ucdenver.edu
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 3-5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but full consideration will be given to complete applications received by 3/10/2017. Those who do not apply by 3/10/2017 may or may not be considered.
Job Category: Academic Services
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20570 - AVC-OARS Medical Library
Posting Date: Feb 24, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Jason Leach
Posting Contact Email: Jason.Leach@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00217217