Supervising Procurement Spec.
Requisition # 2017-7216
Department PPPL Business Operations
Category Financial Services and Procurement
Date Posted 2/24/2017
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Application Deadline 4/30/2017
The Supervising Procurement Specialist is responsible for supervising a staff of Procurement Specialists. The Supervisor's primary roles are to assign, plan, and schedule workloads, monitor performance and develop their direct reports. The supervisor supports the mission of the division, the Business Operations department, and the Laboratory by promoting continuous purchasing process improvement and eliminating waste and non-value added activities. The supervisor serves as a liaison to the Contracting Officer (DOE) in coordination with the Director of Procurement; performs ad-hoc assignments and facilitates special projects as required by the Director of Procurement; assures staff methodology & output are compliant with the Procurement Policies and Procedures Manual (PPPM), Laboratory Policies and Procedures and Federal , state and local governments ; and assumes the authority fully commensurate with assigned duties and responsibilities.
- Train team in PPPM approvals, and file documentation requirements.
- Solve problems, and help your team solve problems through resolution.
- Based on programmatic requests, make sound requisition assignments and contractual decisions to achieve organizational objectives in accordance with PPPL Procurement policies & procedures.
- Maintain oversight over the Procurement Liaison program, maintain activity logs, and report items of note to the Procurement Director.
- Prioritize & supervise day-to-day procurement activities for assigned team.
- Provide the Procurement Director advance notice of any personnel or contractual issues that have the potential of becoming a problem.
- Conduct frequent performance feedback sessions with assigned team, individually or with the team as appropriate, to develop consistent quality work standards and output in accordance with PPPL Procurement policies & procedures.
- Ensure assigned team is complying with all approval thresholds, DOE advance notice and consent requirements.
- Assist Procurement Specialists and participate or lead cross-functional ad-hoc teams to resolve contractual issues.
- Promote and model positive PPPL Procurement Division values and integrity.
- Comply with PPPL laboratory-level procedures.
- Assist assigned team with developing solutions to subcontract and purchase order issues.
- Assist assigned team with understanding PPPL's policies and procedures.
- Bachelor's Degree in related field.
- 15 years of relevant experience, or Master's degree in related field, and 12 years relevant experience with progressively increasing responsibilities.
- Advanced certification preferred (NCMA, ISM, etc.).
- Relevant experience includes supply chain management experience, negotiation and administration (cradle to grave) of complex contractual agreements with emphasis in R&D, business systems (FSCM), universities, and/or complex scientific components and systems, Federal government (DOE, DOD, etc.) and/or Manager & Operator (M&O) contractor experience is strongly preferred.
- Proficient in the interpretation and implementation of FAR, DEAR and Uniform Commercial Code with proven experience in all aspects of federal procurement rules and regulations, procurement policy manuals, advanced business principles & best practices, negotiating procedures, cost/price analysis and profit analysis.
- Must possess and demonstrate critical thinking skills, and be able to work independently with little direction at times. Strong problem-solving and process improvement skills are imperative.
- Experience in assisting with requirements development, facilitating technical meetings, and a “project management” approach to procurement.
- Knowledge of computer-based procurement systems; demonstrated skills using computers and various software, and strong proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Other required skills include: excellent verbal and written communication, results-oriented approach, self motivation and strong initiative to succeed, decision-making skills, problem-solving skills, math/spreadsheet skills, and negotiation skills. The candidate must have proven outstanding organizational, prioritization, and multi-tasking skills in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and are, therefore, unable or limited in your ability to use or access this system, you can request a reasonable accommodation by calling a Human Resources team member at (609) 258-2101.
Princeton University/Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Princeton University/Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Princeton University/Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory requires some candidates to complete a physical capacity exam successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of physical capacity exam may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Princeton University/Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory is a residential community and an employer that operates continuously 24 hours a day. Essential services employees perform jobs that are necessary and required to maintain basic University operations during scheduled closures or unscheduled suspension of normal operations due to emergencies, events, or other situations. Essential services employees may be asked and/or required to perform jobs or duties that fall outside of their normal job classification during an emergency event. Learn more about our Essential Services policy.
Go to Princeton University careers site.