Dean of Teaching & Learning
The Dean of Teaching and Learning is responsible to promote best practices and excellence in teaching and learning to ensure student success. Provides leadership for all academic divisions and works with division chairs, faculty, staff and administration to support credit bearing instruction to meet the community’s needs. Oversees the planning and coordination of the learning environment. Ensures that all academic processes promote and enhance learning. Supports the College’s mission, vision and values by providing academic, administrative and fiscal leadership. Participates actively in the work of the College.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO THE FOLLOWING:
- Leads, recommends, develops, and directly supervises Division Chairs. In collaboration with Division Chairs, manages all faculty in all disciplines and all courses. Oversees the effective and efficient management of academic resources.
- Ensures integrity of academic programs by collaborating with Dean of Career Education, Learning Partnerships/LLIC Director and faculty on curriculum development and program review.
- Manages the curriculum development process. Leads faculty, disciplines, and Division Chairs in curriculum improvement. Coordinates with Dean of Career Education, Learning Partnerships/LLIC Director and Student Educational Services about curriculum. Reviews all curriculum proposals and guides the curriculum process.
- Works with Division Chairs with the class schedule to maximize use of faculty loads and space resources, including working with the Director of Learning Centers and Dean of Career Education, Learning Partnerships/LLIC Director to optimize scheduling for Centers and other off campus opportunities.
- Leads and incorporates innovative approaches to class scheduling and student retention.
- Assists in leading Achieving the Dream (AtD), Guided Pathways, and other major initiatives as assigned.
- Works collaboratively towards establishing goal setting, reporting and feedback cycle with Division Chairs as well as faculty on special assignment through release time. Insures goals and reports align with College’s strategic plan and priorities.
- Collaborates with Division Chairs and faculty to document continuous quality improvement processes and strategies.
- Seeks alignment of academic strategies and projects to reduce silos and enhance cooperation between divisions and college departments.
- Coordinates the development and administration of Division budgets including forecasting staffing, equipment, materials and supply needs with assistance from the Academics Finance Manager.
- Helps lead Academic Services in innovative practices in communication, collaboration between College departments, and committees and projects as assigned.
- Responds to and resolves difficult and sensitive inquiries and complaints by students, staff, faculty and the general public. Serves as a resource for faculty and staff regarding student behavior and concerns. Refers concerns related to programming to the Dean of Career Education, Learning Partnerships/LLIC Director.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree, Doctorate degree preferred
- 5 to 7 years of demonstrated excellence in: teaching, organizational skills, collaboration across diverse groups of employees, community leadership, and a record of project completion within college and community settings
- 3 to 7 years of administrative experience
- 3 to 7 years of college faculty experience