PROVOST AND VICE PRESIDENT FOR ACADEMIC AFFAIRS
PROVOST AND VICE PRESIDENT FOR ACADEMIC AFFAIRS
The University of Saint Mary (www.stmary.edu) is continuing the search for its next Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs. Under the direction of the University President, Sr. Diane Steele, the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs serves as the chief academic officer of the institution and as the senior member of the President's Administrative Council. Responsibilities include oversight of all academic programs of the university, graduate and undergraduate, and for all student life, with the exception of athletics. Providing support to the vice president are the dean of students and the academic dean.
About the University of Saint Mary
The University of Saint Mary (Kansas) is a private, Catholic, liberal arts institution, sponsored by the Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth. USM's student-teacher ratio is one of the best in the nation (about 11-to-1) and they offer more than 30 undergraduate programs, eight graduate programs, one doctoral program and multiple online degree programs. Flourishing in the Vincentian spirit of its founders, USM is dedicated to serving and ensuring the success of underserved populations—with first-generation and Pell-eligible students representing significant percentages of its student body. Through focused strategic planning, the university has doubled in size over the past 15 years.
The Princeton Review has repeatedly named the University of Saint Mary a “Best Midwestern College” every year since 2005. The distinction is based on meeting high standards of academic excellence as well as feedback from students, parents, educators, and Princeton Review staff.
About the Local Area
USM's main campus in Leavenworth, Kan., is just minutes away from the thriving Kansas City metro area—a regular fixture on many national publications' “most livable” and “most affordable” cities lists. From great cultural centers to major league sports to fine dining (and world-famous barbecue), Kansas City strikes a perfect balance between booming urban center and desirable residential community. Leavenworth County itself boasts several of the same amenities, while laying claim to a rich history and the first city of Kansas.
Responsibilities of the position (including, but not limited to):
- Oversight of all student life programs with the exception of athletics
- Planning and building new academic programs
- Evaluating academic programs, including cost analysis
- Planning, coordination, and assessment of curriculum
- Ensuring accreditation standards are met by the university as well as by individual departments
- Reviewing and implementing recommendations of department chairs and academic search committees, with respect to qualifications, appointments, re-appointments, promotions, tenure, and leaves of absence of the faculty in accordance with policies of the university
- Coordinating faculty recruitment and retention
- Serves as second-in-command in the absence of the President
- Advising the President and Academic Committee of the Board of Trustees in academic matters
- Advising the President and Student Life Committee of the Board of Trustees in student life matters
- Administering the academic policies and procedures stated in the University Catalogue
- Reviewing and assessing academic policies regularly
- Authorizing exemptions from requirements, exceptions to academic regulations, and enrollment for credit in other institutions
- Issuing probationary warnings and dismissing deficient students in accordance with the policies stated in the University Catalogue
- Recommending candidates for academic degrees to the President after certification by the Registrar
- Compliance of academic personnel with the rules and regulations of the University
- Approving the calendar of academic activities, authorizing changes in the calendar, and informing the faculty and students of these changes
- Supervising the editing and publishing of the University Catalogue and all official publications pertaining to the academic programs
- Reviewing budget requests of academic departments, student life, and administrative offices and submits the budgets to the President
- Overseeing major academic events on campus
- Submitting a written OGI report that assesses progress on prior year goals and outlines goals for the following year for all areas of responsibility each fiscal year
- Evaluating all direct reports, including academic chairs, annually
- Coordinating and supporting the work of the Academic Affairs Committee of the Board of Trustees
- D. or equivalent from an accredited college or university
- Minimum 8 years in higher education with progressively responsible experience in administrative leadership (middle or senior management), with at least 5 years of senior leadership
- Can articulate the vision of a liberal arts institution with professional programs
- An understanding and support of the overall mission of the University of Saint Mary
- Effective leadership as an advocate for faculty, staff and students
- Ability to work collaboratively across disciplines and with all personnel within the University
- Understanding the dynamics of the changes and trends within Catholic higher education
- Proven success in accomplishing goals
- Ability to work with an entrepreneurial, energetic President who strives to position the institution as a leader in higher education innovation
- Effective verbal, written, analytical, and interpersonal skills; teambuilding skills; supervisory experience
The University of Saint Mary is being assisted in the process by the partners of Hyatt - Fennell. Nomination and application materials should be submitted via email to StMary@hyatt-fennell.com. Applications include a letter of interest, a current résumé/cv, and contact information for five professional references and should be submitted in separate documents. Applications will be reviewed as they are received. All applications and nominations will be considered highly confidential.
For more information contact:
Cheryl Hyatt - 724-242-0476
The University of Saint Mary is an equal opportunity employer.