The English Language Institute at the University of Florida is seeking two full-time, 9-month, time-limited, non-tenured lecturer positions. Appointments are renewable annually upon successful review.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are mot limited to:
- Teach up to 20 hours per week
- Participate in testing, placement and orientation of students, including during university breaks
- Provide leadership/mentoring to new instructors
- Participate in developing courses and curriculum
- Develop course and evaluation materials
- Evaluate textbooks and materials
- Assume coordination or administrative role as needed
- Attend teachers' meetings
- Maintain office hours
- Participate in IEP social activities
- Other duties, as assigned
The University of Florida is an equal opportunity institution dedicated to building a broadly diverse and inclusive faculty and staff. Searches are conducted in accordance with Florida's Sunshine Law. If an accommodation due to disability is needed to apply for this position, please call (352) 392-2477 or the Florida Relay System at (800) 955-8771 (TDD).Advertised Salary:
The salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience and includes a full benefits package.Minimum Requirements:
- MA or higher degree in TESOL, Applied Linguistics, or a closely related field with documented coursework for credit in language teaching methodology, the nature of languages, the structure of English, second language acquisition, second language assessment, and intercultural communication.
- Three (3) or more academic years teaching experience in a university IEP setting
- Demonstrated excellence in teaching a variety of ESL courses, levels and skills
- Demonstrated ability/willingness to teach all skills (Reading/Writing, Grammar, Listening/Speaking)
- Demonstrated ability/willingness to teach all levels (beginner – advanced/bridge)
- Demonstrated ability/willingness to teach all course periods (7:30am – 7:30pm)
- Ability/willingness to work with undergraduate assistants in Listening/Speaking classes
- Demonstrated ability to work within and meet program administrative deadlines
- Demonstrated excellence in writing
- High level of English demonstrated by earning a Bachelor's degree at a recognized/regionally accredited university or college in a country where English is the official language, or if you are from one of the following countries. Or provide a SPEAK test score of 55 or higher, or a TOEFL iBT speaking portion score of 25 or higher.
- Proficiency in a second language
- International travel experience
- ESL/EFL teacher training/mentoring skills
- Course/curriculum/assessment development skill and experience
- Professional activity
Start Date: August 16, 2017
Application Process: Applications must be submitted on-line at http://explore.jobs.ufl.edu/cw/en-us/job/501486?lApplicationSubSourceID= and must include: (1) a cover letter, (2) a complete curriculum vitae, (3) an essay stating candidates' teaching philosophy, (4) unofficial transcripts and (5) a list of 3 references. Applicant will provide names/emails of references and the application system will send automated emails to references requesting that they upload their letters of reference directly to the application website. Finalists will be asked to present a teaching portfolio demonstrating outstanding teaching and to submit a recorded teaching demonstration to the committee. Applications will be reviewed beginning March 8, 2017 as received and the position will remain open until filled.
The successful candidate will be required to provide official transcript to the hiring department upon hire. A transcript will not be considered "official" if a designation of "Issued to Student" is visible. Degrees earned from an education institution outside of the United States are required to be evaluated by a professional credentialing service provider approved by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES), which can be found at http://www.naces.org/.
This is the second of two postings by The English Language Institute. In order to be considered for Requisition # 501482: Lecturer, Student Life Coordinator; you must apply for it separately.Health Assessment Required: No