Research Assistant - Center for Puerto Rican Studies
Supports research projects and activities in connection with CUNY programs
- May assist faculty research groups by configuring and testing equipment, collecting and organizing data, and preparing documentation.
- Performs direct research tasks under supervision.
- May develop or utilize computer-based systems to collect and analyze data.
- May assist in preparing reports of research findings.
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
Centro is a research center dedicated to the study and interpretation of the Puerto Rican experience in the United States. Centro is the primary repository of archival and library materials dedicated to stateside Puerto Ricans. Centro is committed to facilitating research projects useful to those in community organizations, public policy, and academia.
Supports research projects and activities in connection with CUNY programs by assisting in quantitative data management including data and database collection, reduction, formatting and maintenance as well as data analysis. Performs multiple variable regression analyses. Assists in preparing literature reviews; tables, charts, and figure creation and formatting; manuscript development.
Projected start date: January 2017. Appointment would be for one academic year. Subsequent appointments are contingent on funding and performance.
Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience relevant to the research being performed.
- Master's degree in economics, statistics, policy, planning, business or other related field is preferred.
- Training and experience in applied statistics are required. Training in economics or public policy is desirable. A minimum of 1-2 years of work experience is desirable.
- Essential Software skills: SPSS or Stata for descriptive and statistical analysis.
- MS Excel to construct spreadsheet models and to make publication quality graphics. MS Word competence including page and document formatting.
- Knowledge of issues related to economics, policy, and the analysis of social conditions in Puerto Rico and among stateside Puerto Ricans and related topics.
- Outstanding communications and writing skills. It is desirable, but not in any way required, that the candidate have language skills in Spanish.
- Ability to work independently and with small groups in academic settings.
Commensurate with academic accomplishments and experience within the range for this title. ($35,244 - $45,467- existing collective bargaining agreement salaries)*
*Salary subject to new contract implementation
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications must be submitted on-line by accessing the City University of New York job website http://cuny.edu/employment.html Current users of CUNYFirst site should access their established accounts; new users should click on the appropriate link to register. Afterwards, click Search job listings button and then the Managerial/Professional button to locate the position. Then, Click on the "Apply Now" button and follow the application instructions. Please have your resume or curriculum vitae and cover letter with names and contact information of 3 professional references available to attach into the application before you begin. The resume, cover letter and any other required documents must be uploaded as ONE document. The document must be in .doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf, or text format. Incomplete application packages will not be considered.
Review of applications will start on November 1, 2016 and continue until an appropriate candidate is found.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Hunter College
Job Title: Research Assistant - Center for Puerto Rican Studies
Job ID: 15555
Full/Part Time: Full-Time