Master Stage Electrician
Posting Date June 27, 2016
Position Title Master Stage Electrician
Vacancy # V-1179
Division Academic Affairs
The Office of Arts & Cultural Programming (ACP) presents and produces dance, music, theater, performance and opera created by internationally acclaimed artists whose work advances the boundaries of the performing arts. ACP is responsible for The Alexander Kasser Theater and The MSU Amphitheater and all academic events held therein. The Master Stage Electrician supports all events throughout the year for both venues and reports to ACP's Production & Facility Manager.
The Master Stage Electrician is responsible for maintaining the lighting inventory, preparing and implementing all lighting requirements for productions and events at The Alexander Kasser Theater and The MSU Amphitheater.
Major Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Preparation, hanging, connection and focusing of stage lighting fixtures, supervising all other Electricians, and working with the production team for both professional and student programming.
• Supervision, operation, inventory, repair and maintenance of theater's extensive lighting inventory, multiple power distribution systems, 400+ computerized dimmer systems and related servers, including all stage lighting fixtures, cables, effects, power distribution, networking and lighting control consoles.
• Organization and purchasing of all consumables including lamps, color gel, gobos, and gaffer tape.
• Planning and implementation of the lights cabling and electric power distribution for each production.
• Documenting and tracking of all circuiting, addressing, and system configuration in keeping with each production's stage lighting requirements.
• Execute patching assignments/circuiting based on production or event's stage lighting requirements.
• Ensure occupational safety and health of workers, and make other operational decisions, as the head of the Electrics department.
• Manage, make recommendations for, and implement replacement, improvement and repairs to lighting and electrics inventory, as well as general upkeep of the Alexander Kasser Theater, its Rehearsal Studio, and the MSU Amphitheater
• Cultivate, schedule and manage freelance and student lighting technicians.
• Other duties as assigned.
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
Qualifications & Requirements
• BA degree from an accredited institution.
• Minimum 5 years' professional experience/training.
• Experience with touring productions.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
• Experience with international artists and creative teams a plus.
• A positive, pro-active problem solving ability in the face of changing conditions.
• Experience with Electronic Theater Control and other lighting systems and equipment.
• Experience with AutoCAD, Vectorworks, Lightwright, and the Microsoft Office Suite.
• Experience programming, maintaining and troubleshooting Vari-Lite, Martin, ETC, Altman and other Lighting Fixtures.
• Willingness to work extended hours, including nights and weekends as is theater practice.
Step 1 $51,502.06 – Step 4 $59,233.65
Anticipated Start Date As soon as possible
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
*Please note when submitting a cover letter, resume, and references in the apply link, you will need to combine the documents into one (1) single Word or PDF.* https://jobs-montclairedu.icims.com/jobs/1507/master-stage-electrician/job
Apply By Open until position is filled.
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION