Museum Store Operations Assistant (Casual)
Art Museum - 41400
Museum Store Operations Assistant
Princeton University Art Museum is seeking a Museum Store Operations Assistant. The Store Operations Assistant will support the Manager of Retail and Wholesale Operations in running museum retail store operations in tandem with back of house functions. This position works four days per week from 9:30 - 5:00 pm including three weekdays as well as Saturday. There will also be occasional evening work for special events.
Specific components of the position include inventory management, POS register systems, training of staff, scheduling, visitor services and customer follow up and vendor interaction. Routine expectations associated with this position include all tasks associated with visitor services include heavy interaction with the public, sales of artisan craft objects and jewelry, accepting phone orders, preparing shipments for delivery to customers, and filling special requests. Other tasks required for this position include light housekeeping, inventory management, and maintaining operational supplies. Training will be provided on security and emergency preparedness procedures.
- Minimum of three years retail experience.
- Ability to provide polished direct interaction with the public in a museum store setting.
- Ability to retain conversational knowledge about the artists carried in the Store and direct visitors to current Museum exhibitions.
- Ability to work independently and efficiently to produce consistent, high-quality results.
- Strong ability to effectively motivate a team and respond to a wide cross section of needs.
- Must be able to routinely lift 30 pound cartons of books or merchandise.
- Experience using Windows based computer registers to operate POS (point of sale) register system.
- High School Degree or equivalent.
- Must successfully pass a background check.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Experience using Excel.
- Experience managing staff.
- Interest in museums, art history, and visual culture.
About the Museum:
With collecting origins dating to the 1750s, the Princeton University Art Museum is one of the finest art museums in the country. Formally established in 1882, its collections feature over 92,000 works of art ranging from ancient to contemporary art and spanning the globe. Its collections of Chinese painting, the art of the ancient Americas, and photography are widely regarded as being among the world's richest. A private institution serving the public good, the Museum is committed to serving the University, local and regional communities, and beyond through a dynamic program of temporary exhibitions, new scholarship, and innovative programming. By collaborating with experts across many disciplines, fostering sustained study of original works of art, and uniting scholarship with broad accessibility, the Museum contributes to the development of critical thinking and visual literacy at Princeton University and enhances the civic fabric of our nation.
To learn more about the Princeton University Art Museum, please visit http://artmuseum.princeton.edu.
Actual Hours per Week, if casual hourly
Pay Rate, if Casual Hourly
Work Schedule, if other than standard hours
Eligible for Overtime
High School or Equivalent
Open Until Filled or See Position Summary.
Instructions for Applying
Complete the online application and click "Apply to this Posting" at the top of the posting details page.
Documents which can be associated with this posting
Proposed Start Date
End Date, if a Term Appointment
Comments related to end date:
Princeton University is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.