Title: Research Assistant
IAALS, the Institute for the Advancement of the American Legal System, is a national, independent research center dedicated to facilitating continuous improvement and advancing excellence in the American legal system. We are a think tank that goes one step further we are practical and solution oriented. Our specialty is the development and application of innovative solutions for the toughest problems facing our courts and profession, and we work with experts and groups around the country to achieve our mission. Our mission is to forge innovative and practical solutions to problems in our system in collaboration with the best minds in the country. IAALS has four initiative areas. Quality Judges identifies and recommends empirically based models for choosing, evaluating, and retaining judges that preserve impartiality and promote accountability. Rule One identifies and recommends court processes and procedures that provide greater access, efficiency, and accountability. Hono ring Families identifies and recommends dignified and fair processes for the resolution of divorce, separation, and custody in a manner that is more accessible and more responsive to children, parents, and families. Educating Tomorrows Lawyers identifies innovative models of legal education that align legal education with the needs of an evolving profession.
This is a full time position that reports to a senior research analyst and/or a research director. Responsibilities relate to the collection and analysis of empirical data for IAALS and may include: manage the collection of qualitative and quantitative data to inform IAALS policy recommendations in consultation with senior research analyst and/or research director; identify the most appropriate and effective data sources, means of gathering relevant data, and proper methods for data analysis; assist in entering, managing, and ensuring quality/accuracy of data and data systems; analyzing quantitative and qualitative data, interpreting research and evaluation findings, and preparing summary reports; literature reviews, editing, creating presentations, and assisting with other administrative and supports tasks as needed. This person will have a critical role in growing IAALS in its credibility, focus, and capacity.
* Assist senior research analyst and/or research director with management, collection, and evaluation of data for IAALS projects and initiatives.
* Specific duties may include researching, entering and managing data, and assisting in interpreting data and research findings.
* Draft reports on mainly court and law-related topics in a manner accessible to readers not familiar with empirical methods.
* Other duties as assigned: may include periodic attendance at seminars and conferences, and periodic supervision of interns.
* Bachelor's degree.
* Experience in social science methods of descriptive and inferential statistics.
* Experience in data management and quality control techniques.
* Master's degree in a social science field.
* Familiar with the litigation process in the United States and current challenges for the courts.
* Experience with legal resources and research.
* Experience using qualitative data analysis software such as NVivo or Atlas.TI.
* Project management experience including attention to detail and meeting deadlines.
Candidates must apply online through www.du.edu/jobs to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted. Once within the job description online, please click New Resume/CV at the bottom of the page to begin application. If you have questions regarding this position, please contact Theresa Gomez at
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff and encourages applications from women, minorities, members of the LBGT community, people with disabilities and veterans. The University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.