Publisher/Director (Administrative Executive Officer) - The Feminist Press at CUNY
Founded in 1970, the Feminist Press at the City University of New York is the longest-running non-profit educational feminist literary publisher in the world. In these times of rapid change for publishing, fund-raising, and feminism, the Feminist Press has established itself as a singular voice in movements for gender equality and social justice. It continues to be an activist press, serving the women's studies movement by publishing excellent, "lost" literature by women, in part for the collegiate curriculum, and publishing original works by current feminist writers from around the world for a diverse general readership. See www.feministpress.org
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Director/Publisher is responsible for the publishing program, its budget, its staff, and its relations with the City University of New York and the wider public. The Director is responsible for ensuring that the Press's operating budget is fully supported by a combination of earned income, in part from the sale of books and rights, and in part from individual donations, events, and grants. The Director needs to be knowledgeable about e-book technology and sales, and all forms of social media with regard both to increasing sales and to implementing strong fundraising, the Director needs to offer both a vision and a strategy for getting there.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Administers the finances of the Feminist Press in collaboration with the Board of Directors;
- Communicates effectively with the varied constituencies of the Feminist Press, important among them are other CUNY groups and institutions;
- Enhances strategic and intellectual relationships with feminist and women's/gender studies communities and other social justice organizations;
- Leads and manages the development programs of the Feminist Press to bring in half the required budget;
- Oversees the daily operations of the Feminist Press, including the recruitment of staff members and interns;
- Supervises professional and support staff;
- Sustains, develops, and implements the Feminist Press's publishing program, using electronic and other marketing strategies to maintain earned income as half the budget;
- Work in partnership with the Board of Directors on governance issues; and
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's Degree and eight years' relevant experience required.
A preferred candidate should have:
- Excellent literary taste and editing, writing, and/or marketing skills and experience in book publishing or elsewhere.
- Experience with e-book technology and sales, web-marketing and all forms of social media.
- Experience securing foundation and corporate support, funds from individual donors and from organizing fundraising events.
- Knowledge of feminism, women's studies, and Feminist Press books used in classrooms and libraries, and books sold in bookstores.
- Ability to work with the Board of Directors to develop annual budgets, three-year plans and forecasts, as well as oversee the annual audit, manage cash flow, legal compliance, investments, and other balance sheet issues.
- Ability to manage and budget for a small team of professionals and staff.
- Demonstrated success as a creative thinker and spokesperson, and thus able to attract authors and donors to the organization's programs.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
As a senior staff member in a Campus or University Executive's office, leads unit initiatives, participates in planning and setting priorities, and drives strategic initiatives to ensure their success.
- Participates in planning and in setting policies with responsibility for preparing aspects of strategic and operational plans. Participates in developing and executing performance management systems to evaluate progress.
- Works with other Campus and University units to oversee complex, high-priority projects, with responsibility for outcomes.
- Represents the Executive in Campus or University-wide activities and may act in his/her place when required.
- Independently carries out major responsibilities under the Executive's purview, such as monitoring and evaluating unit activities, financial planning and review, serving as chair of key committees, and communications with senior Campus or University management.
- May serve as Chief of Staff of a large Executive Office.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: Administrative Executive Officer
Higher Education Officer
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
Click on "Apply Now" below which will bring you to the registration screen. If you are a new user, you must register to apply. If you already have a user ID, please use your existing ID to apply. Make sure to upload a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three (3) professional references (name, title, and organization) by the closing date. Please upload all documents in Word or PDF format. Please upload all documents in one file.
March 23, 2017
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Graduate Center
Job Title: Publisher/Director (Administrative Executive Officer) - The Feminist Press at CUNY
Job ID: 16370