Counselor, Students with Disabilities & Veterans
Foothill-De Anza Community College District
Counselor, Students with Disabilities & Veterans
Posting #: 16-099
Campus: Foothill College
Number of Working Months: 11 Months
Starting Salary: $62,772-$103,094 annually*
Open Until Filled: Open Until Filled
Employment Duration: Full-Time
Revised Review Date: 5/12/17
*Any complete applications received after the review date will only be forwarded to the hiring committee at their request.
The Foothill-De Anza Community College District is currently accepting applications for the faculty position of Counselor, Students with Disabilities & Veterans, Foothill College.
The ideal candidate will be knowledgeable about the challenges of the student veteran population as well as the students with disabilities population and an experienced advocate for disabled students' and veterans' needs and educational goal attainment. Strong communication skills are essential. The ideal candidate will be a motivated self-starter with the ability to build rapport with students, faculty, staff and administration.
Duties and Responsibilities of the Position Include:
Under the direction of the Dean of Disability Resource Center and Veterans Programs, the Counselor, Students with Disabilities & Veterans will:
- Provide academic, personal, career/vocational and transfer counseling and instruction to students with disabilities and veterans at Foothill and its satellite campus (FHDA Educational Center in Sunnyvale).
- Be responsible for the development of educational plans, monitoring of student progress and conducting any follow-up activities.
- Assess and authorize disability accommodations.
- Act as a consultant regarding student performance and retention
- Serve as a campus resource to faculty and staff regarding strategies for working with students with disabilities and veterans
- Provide educational presentations for the campus community about disabilities and veteran related issues.
- Be responsible for developing and maintaining liaisons and networks with off campus programs, schools and agencies serving veterans and people with disabilities.
- Teach counseling or disability related or veteran affairs courses as needed.
- Advocate on behalf of students with disabilities and veterans
- Participate in college and division assignments and other department responsibilities.
Standard duties expected of all faculty include the development and evaluation of curricula, maintaining scheduled office hours, attending department and division meetings, pursuing professional growth activities, and performing other duties consistent with the role of a faculty. The incumbent will have the opportunity to serve on District and College committees and participate in campus extra-curricular activities
- Understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, cultural, disability, religious background and sexual orientation of community college students and staff.
- The minimum qualifications for service as a community college counselor of students with disabilities shall be satisfied by meeting one of the following requirements; (a) possession of a master's degree, or equivalent foreign degree, in special education, and twenty four or more semester units in upper division or graduate level course work in counseling, guidance, student personnel, psychology, or social work; or (b) a master's degree in counseling, guidance, student personnel, psychology, career development, or social welfare; and either twelve or more semester units in upper division or graduate level course work specifically in counseling or rehabilitation of individuals with disabilities, or two years of full-time experience, or the equivalent, in one or more of the following; (i) Counseling or guidance for students with disabilities or (ii) Counseling and/or guidance in industry, government, public agencies, military or private social welfare organizations in which the responsibilities or the position were predominantly or exclusively for persons with disabilities.
- Demonstrated knowledge of role of community college counselor in providing transfer and career information.
- Experience counseling adults with psychological disabilities.
- Experience providing counseling services to veteran student populations
- Experience assisting veterans in transitioning from military life to a community college setting.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in the field of career guidance and vocational preparation.
- Knowledge and experience related to community organizations, social services and resources serving students with disabilities and veterans.
- Knowledge of retention strategies.
- Knowledge of military history, culture and structure.
- Knowledge of disability culture and identity
- Knowledge of various statutes under which veteran students are certified for military benefits.
- Knowledge and awareness of challenges and obstacles faced by military veterans and students with disabilities in pursuing their educational goals.
- Knowledge of and experience with computers, software, and technology related to counseling.
- Knowledge of and experience in consensus building within a diverse educational environment.
- Indoor, office environment.
(Applicants should perform these physical abilities with or without reasonable accommodations)
- Hearing and speaking to exchange information.
- Vision sufficient to read various materials.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to perform the tasks required of the position.
- Regularly stand, walk, and sit for extended periods of time.
- Bending at waist, kneeling, or crouching.
- Reaching overhead, above the shoulders, and horizontally.
- Lifting and carrying objects up to 20 lbs.
- A District on-line application to be completed at http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/ *In the application, you will provide information, which demonstrates your understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
- A cover letter detailing your background and experience, skills, and abilities as they relate to the minimum and preferred qualifications of this position.
- A current resume of all work experience, formal education and training.
- As an attachment to your application, please provide in a Word document a list of all relevant courses you have taken and completed including the unit value. Please note transcripts are no longer required as part of the application process and will not satisfy this requirement; however, applicants invited to interview may be requested to submit transcripts to verify all courses taken and completed.
NOTE: Official Transcripts verifying qualifications will be REQUIRED prior to an offer of employment. Applicants who have international transcripts must obtain transcripts that are evaluated by an independent educational-equivalency evaluation company and obtain an English translation (if necessary). These services are to be done at the applicant's expense. Both Foothill De Anza CCD employees and external candidates will be subject to this requirement.
If you wish to request equivalency for this position (if you believe you do not otherwise meet minimum qualifications via educational degree attainment as specified), you may submit the Request for Equivalency form. This form will need to be submitted with your application packet. You may either scan a hard copy of this form with your application packet or submit it as a Word document with your application packet. http://hr.fhda.edu/_downloads/Equivalency.pdf
If any required application materials are omitted, the committee will not review your application packet. Application materials not required (including reference letters) for this position will not be accepted. For full-consideration, all application packets must be received by 11:59 pm on the closing date.
Please allow yourself ample time to complete your application and resolve any technical difficulties that may arise with your submission. We do not guarantee a response to application questions within 48 hours of the closing date. You may also visit our “Applicant Information” webpage to assist with technical difficulties at: http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/a-applicant-instructions.html
HIRING RANGE: $62,772 - $103,094 annually*plus benefits; actual placement is based on applicant's verified education and experience.
For the complete Faculty Salary Schedule, go to: http://hr.fhda.edu/_downloads/All%20Faculty%20Schedules_16-17.pdf
Excellent benefits package which includes medical coverage for employee and eligible dependents, dental, vision care, employee assistance program, long term disability, retirement benefits and basic life insurance. Other voluntary benefits are also available such as legal assistance, pet insurance, and long-term care. Faculty are also eligible for paid professional development leaves and stipends for educational and professional development.
For information on our benefits package that includes medical for employees and dependents, visit our web site: http://hr.fhda.edu/benefits/index.html
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Full-time, Tenure-track, 11-months per year
STARTING DATE: Fall 2017
Persons with disabilities who require reasonable accommodation to complete the employment process must notify Employment Services no later than the closing date of the announcement.
The successful applicant will be required to provide proof of authorization to work in the U.S.
The Foothill-De Anza Community College District does not reimburse applicants for travel, lodging or any other costs incurred by applicant to attend interviews. All interviewing costs incurred will be the responsibility of the applicant.
For more information about our application process contact:
Foothill-De Anza Community College District
12345 El Monte Road
Los Altos Hills, California 94022
This position will become Open Until Filled after the initial Closing Date. Any complete applications received while the position is Open Until Filled will be reviewed by the hiring committee only upon committee request.
To apply, visit: http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/