Summer, Pre-College, Residence Hall Director
Posting Number: 0001579
Job Title: Summer, Pre-College, Residence Hall Director
Department: Summer & SP - Academic
Position Status: Full-Time
Position Type: Summer
Months per Year: Other
Work Hours: Varies
Start Date (For temporary positions only): 6/22/17
End Date (For temporary positions only): 8/6/17
Position band/level: Summer
Tenure Track Status:
Job Summary: The Skidmore Pre-College Program seeks an enthusiastic and responsible leader to serve as the program Residence Hall Director (RHD). The RHD is responsible for all aspects of residential life for Skidmore's five-week pre-collegiate summer program for high school students in the liberal and studio arts. This is a challenging and rewarding position with opportunities to influence students' lives in positive and meaningful ways. The position requires living on campus in the residence hall with students, and leading a residential staff team to create and foster a positive living-learning community for program participants. The RHD supervises 10 college students serving as resident assistants and bears primary responsibility for the smooth operation of the residential life component of the program. The RHD supports students in adjusting to college life academically and socially, plans and conducts co-curricular activities, maintains close and regular contact with students, and enforces program policies and procedures. As program participants are predominantly minors, the role assumes significant responsibility for the behavior and well-being of students. The position requires a significant amount of time working nights and weekends.
- Living in the residence hall throughout the program duration (June 25-August 6)
- Co-planning and facilitating residential staff training program (June 26-30)
- Meeting weekly with the Pre-College Program Director to coordinate program details
- Managing staff on-duty scheduling and ensuring proper staff coverage in the residence hall
- Conducting individual meetings, on-going performance reviews, weekly staff meetings, and related support to ensure residential staff meet job expectations
- Advising and supporting students as needed
- Implementation of extra-curricular activities, with required attendance at all trips and events
- Serving as primary point of contact for any residential student conduct issues
- Recognizing and responding promptly to individual crises, emergencies, and disciplinary matters Demonstrating responsible decision making, communication, and problem-solving skills
- Being on-call and accessible by program-provided cell phone 24-hours/day
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor's degree or higher. The successful candidate must have demonstrated interest in working with high school students in a residential college environment, and possess excellent communication, organizational, interpersonal, and critical thinking skills. Strong supervisory Residential Life and/or teaching experience working with high school students in an academic environment is preferred. The candidate must have the ability to manage high stress situations and to thrive in a constantly changing work environment.
Required Applicant Documents: Resume
List of Three References
Optional Applicant Documents:
Special Instructions to Applicants: To be considered for this position, please fill out an online application and attach the following documents: cover letter, resume and list of three references to include name, title, company, email address and telephone number.
This system can support attachments up to 1.9MB. If you encounter difficulty attaching any one of the required documents, please contact Clarissa Sawyer, Employment Coordinator in Human Resources at: email@example.com.
Pay Range: $6,250 plus Room & Board
Posting Date: 02-16-2017
Quicklink for posting: careers.skidmore.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=57845
Skidmore College is committed to being an inclusive campus community and, as an Equal Opportunity Employer, does not discriminate in its hiring or employment practices on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, national or ethnic origin, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, predisposition or carrier status, domestic violence victim status, familial status, dating violence, or stalking, or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Employment at Skidmore College is contingent upon an acceptable background check result
CREATIVE THOUGHT MATTERS.