Senior Systems Administrator
I. JOB OVERVIEW
Job Description Summary:
The Division of Information Technology (it.gwu.edu) is the chief provider of technology infrastructure, services and applications at GW. The Division partners with stakeholders across GW to equip students, staff and faculty with the technology know-how and tools necessary to achieve academic excellence. Reporting to the Associate Director of Enterprise Systems & Services, the Senior Systems Administrator supports the Division's Systems Engineering Services department.
The Senior Systems Administrator is responsible for the following duties.
- Effective decision making on provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of Linux (Unix) systems hardware, software and infrastructure, both for Division managed infrastructure and third party infrastructure platforms (AWS, etc.).
*Administers the operating systems and services that support the University high performance computing and enterprise application platform environment. These responsibilities include system administration, platform engineering, provisioning, operations and support, standards and procedures documentation, maintenance, and research and development to ensure continual innovation.
- Performs senior system administrator tasks including system and security monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, services and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups.
- Applies advanced systems analysis techniques and procedures, including consulting with users, vendors and independent research to determine hardware, software or system functional specification. Generates reports and documentation as needed with strategic alignment, root cause analysis and preventive actions to minimize recurrences and/or to enhance services. Performs in-depth root-cause analysis in addition to break-fix to improve efficiency.
- Provides training to relevant University personnel regarding the use of equipment, diagnosing problems, repairs, maintenance, and installation of service software and components.
- Acts as a technical lead, provides and defines technical needs, recommendations, decisions, benefits, and strategy. Performs R&D, technical analysis, and design in support of operations staff.
The position is based at GW's campus in Ashburn, VA, the University's flagship research and technology center, strategically positioned in the Northern Virginia technology corridor. The incumbent may perform other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.Minimum Qualifications:
Bachelor's degree in an appropriate area of specialization plus 2 years of relevant professional experience. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
- Working competency in High Performance Computing (HPC) operations.
- Working competency in designing and deploying Enterprise Systems solutions.
- Working competency in designing, deploying, and administrating Linux servers.
- Working competency in performance analysis and capacity planning.
- Working competency in deploying, configuring and maintaining system monitoring tools - e.g. Nagios, Ganglia
- Working competency in basic scripting - e.g. Bourne, Korn
- Working competency in advanced scripting - e.g. Perl, Ruby, Python
- Strong communications and customer service skills.
- Experience in provisioning and configuration management software - e.g. Warewulf, Puppet
- Experience in virtualization and managing virtual environments.
- Experience in transitioning to "IT as a Service" based methodology.
- Experience in engineering fault tolerant and highly available services.
- Experience in testing methodologies and version control.
- Experience in deployment and support of data storage and backup.
- Experience in managing end-user accounts and usage utilizing queuing software and other tools.
- Knowledge in active directory and various databases.
- Red Hat Certified System Administrator (RHCSA), VMware Certified Associate (VCA), and Certified Puppet Professional certification(s) desired.
II. JOB DETAILS
Campus Location: Ashburn College/School/Department: Division of IT Family Information Technology Sub-Family Systems Engineering Stream Individual Contributor Level Level 2 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40 Work Schedule: Monday-Friday (8:30 AM - 5:30 PM) Position Designation: Essential: Employees who perform functions that have been deemed essential to maintaining business or academic operations. Employees are generally expected to work from home during an event and may be asked to physically report to work. Telework: No Required Background Check: Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search, Credit Special Instructions to Applicants:
In order to gain a better understanding of your experience, the professional experience section of your resume must include months in addition to years. For example, instead of “2014 – 2015,” it should include “April 2014 – January 2015” or similar information.Internal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: S005953 Job Open Date: 02/22/2017 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Does the professional experience section of your resume include months?
- * What is your expected salary range?
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
Documents needed to Apply
- Cover Letter