International Tourism and Hotel Management Course Instructor
Open date: October 26th, 2016
Last review date: November 25th, 2016
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: October 25th, 2017
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Classroom teaching positions are now available in the Accelerated Certificate Program International Tourism and Hotel Management (ACP ITHM). We are seeking qualified instructors with current knowledge and work experience in the hospitality and tourism industries who can create an interactive and engaging learning environment for students.
For this program, international students come to the UC Irvine campus to take classes related to hospitality and tourism. For more detailed information about ACP ITHM, please visit http://ip.ce.uci.edu/programs/certificate-internship-programs/accelerated-certificate-programs-acps/acp-international-tourism-hotel-management/. Course topics include: Hospitality and Tourism; Human Resources and Leadership for the Hospitality Professional; Accounting and Budgeting; Customer Service Management; Project and Event Management; Strategic Marketing and Branding for the Hospitality Industry. All classes are on-ground, daytime classes that meet Monday-Friday.
Specific Instructor Duties
• Develop and/or update course syllabi in consultation with the UCI Division of Continuing Education Program Manager as assigned and using approved syllabus template
• Prepare and deliver course materials and learning assessments in the assigned format
• Communicate teaching objectives and specific learning outcomes to students, and clearly outline the grading policies for the course
• Evaluate student achievement of specific learning outcomes, and assign grades
• Post final student grades by set deadlines
• Respond to student questions and learning needs in a timely manner
• Stay current regarding the professional body of knowledge in the field of practice
• Participate in required orientations and complete mandatory training programs by deadlines established by UC Irvine
• Complete required administrative tasks in a timely manner including: completing all hiring paperwork; submitting updated syllabi; signing instructor contract; submitting required textbook orders; communicating AV and classroom needs
• Employ culturally competent teaching methodologies in the classroom inclusive of international student populations
• Use subject-matter expertise and leverage additional resources appropriately to enhance the curriculum (i.e.: make arrangements for guest speakers, off-site property tours, etc.)
• Design interactive and motivational classroom activities to fully engage participants and to reinforce student learning
• Update materials periodically, and regularly monitor course evaluations in order to make adjustments and improvements to the curriculum
Part-time, temporary assignments are on an as-needed basis. This is an ONGOING recruitment. We accept part-time instructor applications all year long; when the division has a need to fill, they refer to the "pool" of applications on file. We are looking specifically for instructors who are qualified to teach as early as winter quarter (beginning January 2017).
To apply for this position, please click this link:
Individuals hired to teach these courses must understand that all such agreements with the University are made on a course-by-course basis and that the Instructor will be made no guarantee of continual involvement with the University in any capacity.
The University of California, Irvine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy.
• Master's degree or higher from an accredited institution
• Extensive background and current work experience in the hospitality/tourism industry
• Interest and willingness to teach an international student audience
• Local and available to teach on-ground, daytime classes during the week
• Current knowledge of and demonstrated proficiency in subject area
• Must be committed to the highest level of academic standards and integrity
• Highly effective oral and written communication skills, including the ability to convey conceptual and complex ideas and information
• Highly effective interpersonal skills
• Current participation in professional associations
• Experience designing/revising curriculum and measuring student performance
• College-level teaching or guest speaking experience (or the corporate equivalent)
• Experience traveling or living abroad
Job location Irvine, CA
- Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
- Cover Letter
- Instructor Biolgraphical History - Please complete the biographical history form by clicking this link: http://ce.uci.edu/pdfs/forms/dce-instructor-application.pdf. Upload the completed form here as an attachment
3 references required (contact information only)
HOW TO APPLY
- Create an ApplicantID
- Provide required information and documents
- If any, provide required reference information
Get started: press Apply Now