Competitive Sports Coordinator
Functional Title Competitive Sports Coordinator
Position Type Staff
The Department of Recreation & Wellness is a broad department located in the Division of Student Affairs, which includes organized and informal sports, fitness, outdoor adventures, wellness and experiential education programming. The Mission of the Department of Recreation & Wellness is to provide intentional experiential opportunities for students and the UNC-Greensboro community that provide healthy behaviors and foster student development.
Under the direction of the Assistant Director of Competitive Sports, this position is responsible for the daily operation of assigned Competitive Sports activities. The Competitive Sports program includes Intramural Sports leagues & special events and the operations of 20+ Club Sports. The Coordinator's primary responsibilities are directly related to the Intramural Sports program and activities, while supporting the Assistant Director in the management of the Club Sports programming and operations. The position is responsible for training and mentoring 40+ students and supervision of a graduate assistant.
General Administrative Responsibilities:
• Coordinate hiring, training, scheduling, evaluation, and supervision of a graduate assistant, program assistants, and 40+ undergraduate employees (supervisors, officials, and intramural assistants).
• Assist with policy and procedure development for all program areas.
• Assist with the assessment, evaluation, and mitigation of risk for competitive sports programs and facilities.
• Assist with the development and management of program budgets.
• Assist with assessment of student learning in all program areas.
• Assist with the marketing, promotion, and evaluation of programs and services.
Facility & Equipment Management Responsibilities:
• Responsible for coordination of required field maintenance and painting.
• Responsible for monitoring and maintaining appropriate equipment conditions and inventory levels.
• Ensure safety of participants in all areas of oversight and programs by monitoring environmental conditions.
• Oversee the day to day operations of the intramural sports program including marketing, leagues scheduling, payroll, and human resource functions.
• Develop all policies, procedures and sport specific rules related to intramural sports.
• Maintain records of all league standings, sportsmanship and participation rates for intramural sports.
• Provide on-site training and evaluation of student staff.
• Manage disciplinary proceedings, in coordination with the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities, as related to participation in intramural sports leagues and events
• Serve as primary risk manager for areas of direct supervision.
• Assist with design and scheduling of intramural calendar of events.
• Manage staffing for club sport practices and events.
• Develop, plan, and budget for introduction and implementation of summer leagues and events.
• Assist with the implementation of departmental and divisional summer programs including Spartan Basecamp.
• Assists with managing existing and developing new collaborative programming in and outside the Department of Recreation & Wellness.
• Serve on departmental and university committees.
• Maintain a 10am - 7pm work schedule (during fall & spring semesters) with the occasional hours on evenings, weekends, and university breaks based on program offerings and schedule.
• Instruct department-offered American Red Cross CPR/AED/First Aid courses.
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
1) Master's degree.
2) Two (2) years of experience in the promotion, design, development, and administration of a collegiate competitive sports programs. Two (2) year Graduate Assistantships will count towards years of experience.
3) Valid driver's license.
4) American Red Cross First Aid/AED/CPR certification.
1) Demonstrated experience successfully leading sports officials training including flag football, basketball, soccer, volleyball, and softball.
2) Experience officiating at the extramural, interscholastic, or intercollegiate level(s).
3) Demonstrated budgeting experience.
4) Current involvement in one or more of the following professional organizations: National Intramural & Recreation Sports Association (NIRSA), National Federation High School (NFHS), and/or the National Association of Sports Officials (NASO).
5) American Red Cross CPR/AED/First Aid Instructor certification or must obtain within the first 12 months of employment with the expectation to teach department classes.
6) Demonstrated computer skills including Microsoft Office and knowledgeable with recreation management software.
Tenure Status N/A
Special Instructions to Applicants
1) Go to jobsearch.uncg.edu
2) Search for posting #998982
3) Complete online application and upload cover letter, resume, and contact information for at least three professional references.
The University of North Carolina at Greensboro is committed to equality of employment opportunity and does not discriminate against applicants or employees based on race, color, creed, national origin, religion, gender, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, political affiliation, or sexual orientation. Moreover, the University of North Carolina at Greensboro is committed to recruiting and advancing women and minorities at all faculty/staff levels. EOE AA/M/F/D/V
Recruitment Range $38,000
Org #-Department Campus Recreation - 44801
Job Open Date 02/21/2017
For Best Consideration Date 03/14/2017
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
Type of Appointment 1.0 (Full-Time)
Time Limited? No
Number of Months per Year 12
- Cover Letter
- List of References
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Please indicate how you learned of the vacant position for which you are applying:
- UNCGjobsearch Website
- Greensboro News & Record
- Carolina Peacemaker
- Other Newspaper
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Inside Higher Ed
- Other Professional Journal
- UNC System Job Board
- Other Online Job Board
- Personal Networking
- Search Firm
To learn more or to apply for this position please visit our UNCGjobsearch website at https://jobsearch.uncg.edu