Director of Los Angeles Programs, Study Abroad
- Oversee site curriculum of Los Angeles Programs, working closely with BU Study Abroad, the Global Support team, other Global Programs staff, and all relevant faculty and school/college leaders, including at COM, CFA, etc. (all course proposals are reviewed by the BU Study Abroad Director of Academic Affairs and approved by the relevant Boston University academic department(s) and the sponsoring school/college);
- Recruit and recommend appropriate instructional staff (all instructional staff appointments are approved by the Executive Director and the Director of Academic Affairs, BU Study Abroad, and contracts are approved in Boston);
- Develop, expand and nurture the network of internship providers essential to the success of the internship component of the program;
- Ensure the academic integrity of the program, including completion of course and instructional staff evaluations each semester, as well as assessing the academic success of the students;
- Ensure the program is in compliance with all academic policies and procedures of Boston University, including Learning Outcomes assessment;
- Teach up to one academic course per year, as necessary to the program and based on teaching qualifications.
- Oversee the operating budget for the LA Programs in close consultation with the Executive Director and Global Support Finance and Administration team;
- Apprise the Director, Finance and Administration in Global Support of any changes in local economic and financial policies, including banking policies, as they relate to the LA Program;
- Review and approve monthly expense reports prepared by staff in Los Angeles and submitted to the Global Support Finance team.
- Oversee the operational needs of the LA Programs as they relate to office space, accommodation rentals, equipment, furniture, etc.;
- Ensure compliance with local and state laws as they pertain to all aspects of operating in Los Angeles (and/or California) including registration of the program in Los Angeles (and/or California), property regulations, and any other legal policies and procedures as they affect the program;
- Keep the Executive Director and others in BU Study Abroad and Global Support informed of changes in local and state legislation as they pertain to the LA Programs;
- Assist with new programs, whether within Study Abroad or Global Programs, as they are envisioned and implemented.
- Supervise the staff of the LA Programs, and any other staff that may be added to the site structure, including performing annual performance appraisals, hiring, training, disciplining, and dismissing staff, as appropriate;
- Work on all staffing needs and issues with BU Study Abroad and Global Support HR team.
Marketing & Communications
- Participate in and contribute to the University’s effort to publicize BU Study Abroad and the LA Programs, and any other BU program offered in LA and the region as directed, including through on- and off-campus outreach;
- Act as liaison between Boston University and institutions and organizations in Los Angeles;
- Foster alumni relations with graduates of the LA Programs and assist in the efforts of BU’s Office of Development and Alumni Affairs as needed.
- Provide regular communication, reports and updates concerning LA Program activities and other BU activities to various members of the Global Programs leadership, including the Vice President and Associate Provost for Global Programs and the Executive Director, Study Abroad, and the academic leadership and faculty in COM, CFA, and other academic units at BU as appropriate.
Student Life, Health and Safety
- Oversee all aspects of health, safety, and student life for the LA Programs, including housing, excursions, cultural activities, and any potential health and safety concerns with hosting US and international students in Los Angeles, in close consultation with the Study Abroad Director of Operations and the Associate Director, Health, Safety and Security on the Global Support team;
- Guide staff on parameters of new student orientation to highlight appropriate workplace conduct and coworker communication, Boston/LA cultural differences, and ways to ensure internship success;
- Liaise between students and their internship providers when needed throughout the semester, in particular where issues are elevated from other staff members.
Program Development & Strategic Planning
- Work with the Executive Director, and other BU Study Abroad and Global Support staff, on any program development opportunities in Los Angeles;
- Update the Executive Director on the presence of other providers operating in Los Angeles, and make recommendations on areas of development;
- Submit a brief report at the end of each semester outlining the highlights and challenges for the program to the Executive Director.
Required Qualifications, Skills, Abilities
- A minimum of a Masters or equivalent in a communications field, education, business administration, or related field;
- Extensive entertainment industry experience and network strongly preferred;
- Minimum of three years of experience in higher education and office management, with supervisory experience preferred;
- Must have excellent managerial, communication and organizational skills in a cross-cultural environment, the ability to work cooperatively with administrators, faculty, students and staff on- and off-campus; the ability to communicate professionally and clearly in writing and orally; the proven ability to manage people and projects effectively; must be able to multi-task and manage competing priorities;
- Familiarity with Boston University preferred.