Assistant Director Group Sales
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
University of Colorado Denver South Denver
Assistant Director of Group Sales
Position #2523 - Requisition 08415
CU South Denver is managed by the University of Colorado Denver, a comprehensive urban research university serving more than 28,000 students in metropolitan Denver and online. All four CU campuses - CU Anschutz Medical Campus, CU Boulder, CU Colorado Springs, and CU Denver - collaborate in the success of the CU South Denver expansion. Located east of I-25 along Lincoln Ave. in Parker, the building was donated to the University of Colorado in 2015. The gift of the entire building and operations allows for more services, more convenience, and more value to be delivered to South Denver residents, employers, and business professionals. Classes are offered for degree-seeking and continuing education students and include popular interest areas such as nursing, engineering, education and business. CU South Denver serves as a cultural center and community asset, including an art and natural history museum, a large-screen movie theater, K-12 museum education programs, and community events for all ages. Catered event space for business, weddings and the community are available for rent. CU South Denver is a fun, educational place to work and help others.
This position oversees all external venue rentals and catering sales at the University of Colorado South Denver. Position also provides direction and oversight of event sales coordinator contracts and planning of event details resulting in consistent, quality and professional service to meet the needs of our customers. This position is responsible for driving event revenue by seeking and recruiting new business, increasing bookings from CU units, as well as ensuring client satisfaction and increasing repeat event bookings.
This is a full-time position and requires the flexibility to work evenings, weekends and holidays.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Oversees the marketing and selling of all venue space for CU South Denver
- Responsible for writing and executing an annual venue sales and marketing plan
- Seek new business through booking strategy consisting of gaining awareness, building relationships and cultivating business throughout the south metro Denver area.
- Work with CU units to increase bookings, determine and fulfill event needs.
- Increase referral and repeat business through implementing and maintaining the referral program for existing clients as well as ensuring event sales coordinators thoroughly plan and produce events to garner repeat clients.
- Hire, train and retain Event Sales Coordinators ensuring departmental goals are met.
- Set stretch goals for self and team
- Work with Event Operations Manager to ensure efficiency and success for all events held at the venue.
- Build, manage, and share regular sales reports with Senior Team
- Manage against an annual budget
- Identify, work with Director of Marketing to produce and implement marketing tactics and collateral for the event rental and catering spaces of CU South Denver.
- Book, plan and attend trade shows as a representative of CU South Denver.
- Produce and report on financial status of Events and Catering sales not limited to monthly, quarterly and annual goals versus actualized earnings
- Present and maintain an organized, positive, and welcoming environment for all CU Denver South constituents.
- Participate in organized training and meetings to learn new aspects related to the job and retain current information on CU, events, and general campus operations.
- Analyze all event sales activities to ensure effectiveness and identify improvements to be made to the Director of Marketing.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Marketing or the Vice Chancellor.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located athttps://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- A bachelor's degree in hospitality, museum, art, entertainment, tourism, communications, event management, or a directly related field from an accredited institution.
- Diverse, progressively, responsible experience at the manger level in event sales and planning preferable for a convention center, hotel, or similar public assembly facility.
- Diverse, progressively, responsible experience at the manger level managing sales staff
- Diverse, progressively, responsible experience at the manger level with catering sales
Substitution: A combination of education and related technical/paraprofessional experience may be substituted for the bachelor's degree on a year for year basis.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be willing and able to stand and walk for extended periods of time.
- Must be willing and able to lift, push, pull or carry heavy object of at least 30 lbs.
- Minimum five (5) years of event sales and planning experience preferably for a convention center, hotel, or similar public assembly facility required.
- Minimum two (2) years of managing sales staff preferred.
- Catering sales experience required.
- CRM or other sales tracking system experience, salesforce preferred.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
- Ability to provide excellent and quality customer service to diverse constituents
- Ability to build a book of business to achieve sales goals annually.
- Outstanding sales, customer service, planning and organizational skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Able to manage multiple events with multiple deadlines.
- Able to effectively report needs, issues, and solutions to the Director of Marketing or the Vice Chancellor of South Denver to improve and evolve the participant experience.
- Able to quickly and effectively meet the needs of customers who use the CU Denver South location for their events.
- Flexible work style and attitude with a willingness to work as a member of a fast-paced team.
- Able to work independently in ambiguous situations with little direction.
- Self-starting, innovative thinker who is eager to create and develop new solutions for our clients.
- Able to utilize available resources to appropriately assist event attendees.
- Ability to assure that all details of the job are performed and their work is accurate.
- Knowledge of room set-ups and diagramming.
- Familiarity with Audio Visual equipment, systems and requirements
- Knowledge of operational characteristics, services and activities of public assembly facility housekeeping and event setup operations.
- Knowledge of other public assembly facility related operations including freight, decorators, maintenance, trades, electrical, equipment, etc.
- Knowledge of event presentation and event production needs
- Familiarity of EEOC, FLSA, OSHA and ADA issues
- Knowledge of fire and public safety regulations
- Knowledge of terminology used in entertainment and convention settings
- Knowledge of relevant federal, state, and local regulations
- Must have computer skills in Microsoft office applications; use of event and diagram software a plus.
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers * REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A cover letter/letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2) A current resume/CV. 3) List of 3-5 professional references. Questions should be directed to Meghan Garcia-Ortiz at Meghan.Garcia@ucdenver.edu
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 3-5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications will be accepted until finalists are identified, but full consideration will be given to complete applications received by 4/24/2017. Those who do not apply by 4/24/2017 may or may not be considered.
Job Category: Hospitality
Primary Location: Denver
Department: U0001 -- Denver-Anschutz Administration - 60140 - ADM-VCSD BusOpEvent/Cater/Cafe
Posting Date: Feb 8, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Meghan Garciz-Ortiz
Posting Contact Email: Meghan.Garcia@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00002523