Geospatial Services Specialist
University of Colorado Denver
Job Title Geospatial Services Specialist
Position # 731237 - Requisition 08210
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The Auraria Library has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) Geospatial Services Specialist position.
The University of Colorado Denver is a public research university serving more than 14,000 students. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 100 highly rated degree programs through eight schools and colleges. In the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers-CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The Geospatial Services Specialist will lead the University of Colorado Denver- Auraria Library's efforts to acquire, provide access to and services for geospatial information and data resources, including geographic information system (GIS) and maps in all formats. This new position will be engaged in fulfilling the research and educational missions of the Auraria Library and the students, staff and faculty of the three institutions on the Auraria Campus - the University of Colorado Denver, the Metropolitan State University of Denver, and the Community College of Denver. This position will be responsible for providing support for GIS services through reference, research consultations, online help guides, and other outreach efforts. This position will provide a robust program of GIS education and continuously develop workshops and online help materials to keep pace with the latest software, online tools, and techniques. Additional examples of work performed included; Provide strategic planning and practical decision-making for the technical infrastructure for the map and GIS components of digital projects in support of both teaching and research across the campus, collaborate with personnel in the Auraria Library's Creative Technology Commons on the creation of digital geospatial learning objects, and scholarly products and participate in outreach initiatives to promote the Library's GIS services.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is $50,000 - $55,000 and is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- Bachelor's degree in Geography, Geology, Sociology, Social Sciences, or other related discipline
- Substitution: ALA-accredited Master's degree in Library Science (MLS) or advanced Social Sciences degree
- Experience with geospatial data and relevant software, such as ESRI ArcGIS applications, Open GIS, etc.
- Experience using and creating maps and/or cartographic resources
- ALA-accredited Master's degree in Library Science (MLS) or advanced Social Sciences degree
- Experience with providing reference and/or instructional services
- Experience with or evidence of work with data visualization
- Experience with one or more software programs such as R, SAS, STATA, SPSS, Sketch-UP, Matlab, PostgreSQL, Python, Perl, PHP or D3
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Knowledge of indexing/cataloging standards for cartographic resources and metadata standards for geospatial data
- Strong academic or experiential background in scientific information sources and scholarly communication in geography, STEM, and/or allied areas
- Ability to design projects and bring them to a timely conclusion
- Ability to develop and deliver GIS reference and instruction services
- Ability to work effectively with diverse faculty, students, and staff
- Ability to work collegially, collaboratively, and independently with varied groups, within and across a complex organization and a rapidly changing, team environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; demonstrated analytical and organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and in a team environment
- Knowledge of scholarly communication and the research process
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers * REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A cover letter/letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2) A current resume/CV. 3) List of 3-5 professional references. Questions should be directed to Aelx Matthews at firstname.lastname@example.org
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 3-5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but full consideration will be given to complete applications received by 2/10/2017. Those who do not apply by 2/10/2017 may or may not be considered.
Job Category: Academic Services
Primary Location: Denver
Department: D0001 -- Denver Campus - 30124 - AVC-OARS Library
Posting Date: Jan 23, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Alex Matthews
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00731237