Assistant Professor & Faculty Director of Access Services
The Kraemer Family Library at the University of Colorado Colorado Springs seeks applications from energetic, innovative librarians for the position of Assistant Professor and Faculty Director of Access Services. As a member of the Library leadership team, this position is responsible for managing the circulation/reserves and interlibrary loan departments; general reference desk duties including nights and weekends; library instruction, collection development and liaison with selected academic departments; participation in library policy formulation. This is a 12 month, tenure track position with performance requirements in librarianship, research and creative work, professional practice and service.
This position reports to the Associate Dean, and provides strong, collegial leadership, direction, vision, and management of all programs, personnel, and fiduciary aspects of Circulation, Reserves and Interlibrary Loan. This position is a vital communication link among the other Departments and Library administration. Responsibilities include general administrative oversight; program development and assessment; staff evaluation and development; budget development and management as necessary; and faculty, staff, and student recruitment and hiring.
Essential Job Functions:
- Develop, articulate, and interpret the department's goals and actions
- Maintain a climate that is collegial and hospitable to creativity, innovation, and inclusion
- Involve staff in shared governance of the department
- Schedule regular department meetings
- Provide leadership toward attaining department excellence in developing, organizing, and implementing initiatives that support the programs of study offered by the Colleges and the Kraemer Family Library Strategic Plan
- Serve as a member of the Library's Leadership Team
- Work with others in the Library and on campus to advance the broader Library and campus visions
- Represent the Library at statewide Prospector meetings
- Demonstrate a commitment to excellence in librarianship/teaching, research, and service through continuing activity as a librarian/teacher and scholar
- Provide oversight for the Circulation/Reserves and Interlibrary loan departments
- Develop and follow procedures for staff workload assignments
- Troubleshoot Prospector problems
- Train staff, troubleshoot problems and implement new features for the integrated library system in circulation and reserves. Coordinate with library system administrator in reporting problems to vendor.
- Provide oversight of the Library's lighting systems, public use equipment, library security system and general building use
- Prepare the annual department report
- Work with the Leadership Team to prepare the Library's self-study for Program Review (every 7 years)
- Provide individual, group, or course related instruction to students in assigned subject areas, and contribute to the development and implementation of the information literacy program
- Provide service at the Research Assistance Desk 6-8 hours/week
- Develop collections for assigned subject areas and work with faculty in those areas to ensure the collections meet curriculum needs
- Coordinate and oversee the mentoring of new staff as appropriate and needed in the Circulation/Reserves and Interlibrary Loan departments
- Encourage improvement of staff performance through goal setting and regular evaluation
- Make recommendations to the Associate Dean on department personnel matters including leaves of absence, retirement agreements, differentiated workloads, etc. as appropriate
- Conduct assessments of circulation services, stacks maintenance, course reserves and interlibrary loan as needed
- As necessary and appropriate, work with Library Administration to develop and maintain budget requests and reports
Upon request, please be prepared to provide five professional references (at least two previous/current supervisors), including their email contact information.
Official transcripts will be required upon hire.
- Master's degree from an ALA-accredited library school
- Library circulation department experience
- Supervisory experience
- Hands-on experience with a library integrated system
- Post-MLS experience in an academic library
- Two years of library circulation department experience
- Experience with Innovative Interfaces library system including INN-Reach
- Experience with interlibrary loan
- Experience with library instruction
- Reference experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Flexibility in adapting to change
- Initiative and demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Commitment to the teaching/librarianship, research, and service requirements of a tenure-track position
Special Instructions to Applicants:The successful candidate for this position will be appointed as a full-time (12 month) tenure-track faculty member. Initial appointment will be at Assistant Professor level. Salary range is $55,000-60,000, depending upon qualifications. Benefits include 15 days of sick leave, 22 days of vacation, 10 paid holidays per year, University group health care plan, group life insurance.
The University of Colorado offers a comprehensive benefits package. Information on benefits programs can be found at: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/benefits. The University of Colorado is committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living and working community. To assist in achieving this goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check and, when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history check. UCCS is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, the University of Colorado does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References, Unofficial transcript(s)
Application Materials Instructions:Priority will be given to applications received by March 1, 2017, and the posting will remain open until filled. Application must be made online at CU Careers www.cu.edu/cu-careers referring to posting number 08272, and must include a letter of application addressing in detail the specified qualifications for the position, a full resume/vitae, unofficial transcripts, and names of 5 references with postal addresses, email addresses, and telephone, including two current or recent supervisors. The position is currently available. Questions may be directed to Jayne Lloyd, Finance and HR Professional, at email@example.com. In order for an application to be considered, applicants must label each required attachment with the relevant title, attach the required documents for this position announcement to the submission and check the Job Specific Attachments box next to each document in the submission.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Colorado Springs
Department: C0001 -- Colorado Springs Campus - 40090 - Library
Posting Date: Jan 27, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Jayne Lloyd
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00422305