University of Colorado - School of Medicine
The position is offered in Professor Mayumi Fujita's laboratory through the Department of Dermatology. The appointment will be for a 2 year period. The main emphasis of this position will be working in the research areas of tumor inflammation and tumor immunology in human melanoma. Specific Position Duties with Percentages of Time 100% Dr. Fujita's laboratory has been studying:
- The role of IL-37, a novel inhibitor of innate and adaptive immunity, in skin inflammation and tumor inflammation
- Biological roles of inflammasome and autoinflammation in the melanoma tumor microenvironment
- Intratumoral heterogeneity in tumorigenesis, progression and therapeutic resistance of melanoma.
Specifically, a position is available to study the role of IL-37, a novel inhibitor of innate and adaptive immunity, in tumor inflammation and tumor immunology in human melanoma at the University of Colorado Denver, School of Medicine.
The candidate will perform the investigation as follows:
1) IL-37 is a homolog of the IL-1 cytokine family. Dinarello (collaborator)'s group has found that IL-37 is a novel inhibitor of innate immunity (Nat Immunol 2010), and our group has found that IL-37 is a novel inhibitor of adaptive immunity (Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2014). IL-37 is induced in pro-inflammatory milieu containing IL-1, and our microarray analysis shows that IL-37 upregulates cytotoxic T lymphocyte antigen-4 (CTLA-4), a major regulator of T cell responses. We hypothesize that tumor-derived autoinflammation enhances IL-37 expression in T cells, thereby generating Treg cells and inducing immunosuppression in human cancers. We will define the link between IL-37 and Treg cells, characterize the mechanisms of action of IL-37 in CD4+ T cells by dissecting intracellular and extracellular signaling pathways and define the role of IL-37 in CD4+ T cells in vivo. Human peripheral blood cells will be used. Transgenic mice expressing IL-37 and others will be used. Many preliminary data were already generated.
a) Luo Y, Cai X, Liu S, Wang S, Nold-Petry CA, Nold MF, Bufler P, Norris DA, Dinarello CA, Fujita M: Suppression of antigen specific adaptive immunity by IL-37 via induction of tolerogenic dendritic cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 111(42);15178-83, 2014.
b) Li S, Neff CP, Barber K, Hong J, Luo Y, Azam T, Palmer BE, Fujita M, Garlanda C, Mantovani A, Kim SH, Dinarello CA: Extracellular forms of IL-37 inhibit innate inflammation in vitro and in vivo but require the IL-1 family decoy receptor IL-1R8. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 112: 2497-2502, 2015.
c) Chen HM, Fujita M: IL-37: A new player in immune tolerance. Cytokine 72; 113-114, 2015.
d) Hjen JF, Rasmussen TA, Andersen KLD, Winckelmann AA, Laursen RR, Gunst JD, Mller HJ, Fujita M, stergaard L, Sgaard OS, Dinarello CA, Tolstrup M: Interleukin-37 expression is increased in chronic HIV-1-infected individuals and is associated with inflammation and the size of the total viral reservoir. Mol Med 21: 337-345, 2015
e) Dinarello CA, Nold-Petry C, Nold M, Fujita M, Li S, Kim S, Bufler P: Suppression of innate inflammation and immunity by interleukin family member interleukin-37. Eur J Immunol 46: 1067-81, 2016
Infectious Materials/Human Blood or Bodily Fluids
Radioactive Materials/Ionizing Radiation
HIPAA - Research
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a PhD in one of these fields of study: Immunology, Biology, or other related discipline
- Minimum of 3 year(s) experience in Immunology
- Prior successful working experience using a wide range of molecular and cellular biology techniques.
- Excellent communication skills using the English language.
- The ability to work independently within the research lab.
- Computer software, equipment operation, or research technical skills
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Questions should be directed to Bobbi House, firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID:
When applying, applicants must include: 06691
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20143 - SOM-Dermatology
Posting Date: Sep 8, 2016
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Bobbi House
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00008059