Professional Research Assistant
University of Colorado School of Medicine
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Department of Pediatrics - Section of Infectious Diseases--CHIP
Professional Research Assistant-Research Nurse
Position #731636 - Requisition #08368
The University of Colorado School of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Section of Infectious Diseases (CHIP), has an opening for a full-time Professional Research Assistant-Research Nurse to work at the Anschutz Medical Campus in Aurora. The Children's Hospital Immunodeficiency Program (CHIP) provides comprehensive health care integrated with clinical trial participation to children, adolescents, young adults and pregnant women living with or affected by HIV. CHIP is comprised of a multi-disciplinary team including a clinical care team, psychosocial support team, research team, outreach/prevention team, and administrative support. CHIP is a study site for multi-center clinical trials from the HIV Prevention Trials Network (HPTN), the International Maternal, Pediatric, Adolescent AIDS Clinical Trials (IMPAACT), the Pediatric AIDS Cohort Study (PHACS), as well as other federal and industry sponsored trials.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is a comprehensive urban research university serving more than 28,000 students in metropolitan Denver and online. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado public institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer 119 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is well known for its distinctive and highly productive research programs, its world-class health facilities at the Anschutz Medical Campus and its well-established partnerships in business, industry and government. These campuses currently have over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at our Anschutz Medical Campus, a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver. Denver is one of America's most vibrant urban centers and the downtown campus, located just steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District, affords our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding.
- Collaborate with PI and clinical team to identify and enroll eligible patients to study and implement research studies
- Be a lead study coordinator on assigned clinical trials
- Assist team members with assigned clinical trials
- Manage protocol changes as new information is released from sponsors
- Complete research documentation, utilizing medical records, lab guidelines, protocol information and other resources for accurate completion and submission of research records
- Schedule and conduct research visits
- Coordinate study procedures and consults as required by protocol
- Administer and document informed consent for study participation
- Administer participant interviews/questionnaires
- Track patient participation
- Evaluate consistency of medical data
- Develop and review informed consents
- Work with CHIP team to identify and submit adverse event reports to study team, sponsor, and IRB within designated timeframes
- Problem solve as it relates to research project
- Develop policies and procedures
- Validate quality of data elements/data editing
- Assist in preparation for site monitor visits
- Travel to partner hospitals and clinics as needed to perform study procedures as needed
- Travel and conduct home study visits as needed
- Phone triage of patient calls
- Contact parent/patient with lab results and visit instructions
- Abstract pertinent medical information into the electronic medical record and internal database
- Assist with prescription refill authorizations
- Assess barriers to attending visits (i.e. transportation, co-pays, etc.) and work with CHIP team to resolve issues
- Administer immunizations, injections, and tuberculin skin tests
- Assist with pelvic and anoscopic exams
- Collect, label, and coordinate distribution of clinical and research specimens (blood, urine, genital swabs, oral secretions, etc.)
- Perform clinical nursing procedures as specified under department standing orders
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
- Bachelor's prepared RN
- 2 years of relevant experience, with at least 1 year of nursing experience
- Experience in clinical research coordination
- Experience working with at-risk youth and young adults
- Bilingual in English and Spanish
- Experience with electronic medical records
Condition of Employment:
- Must successfully pass a 10 panel drug test through Children's Hospital Colorado
- Must successfully pass a sex offender and national criminal background check
- Have (or have access to) reliable transportation
Required Competencies: Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Proficient in computer software applications such as Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written)
- Ability to understand complex organizations
- Ability to work independently, within a strong team environment
- Ability to manage multiple responsibilities, often under time pressures
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to accurately prioritize workflow
- Candidate must feel comfortable working with the diverse population the CHIP clinic serves
- Ability to travel to clinics in Denver Metro area
- Familiarity with multi-center trials
- Knowledge of HIV disease and treatment
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Questions should be directed to Carrie Chambers at firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 8368
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 21016 - SOM-PEDS ID-GenOps
Posting Date: Feb 10, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Carrie Chambers
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00731636