Professional Research Assistant
University of Colorado School of Medicine
University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus
Department of Pediatrics - Section of Emergency Medicine
Profession Research Assistant
Position # 728524 - Requisition # 6767
Hiring for 2 positions
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside.Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding.
Nature of Work:
- Working on a specific clinical trial in the Pediatric Emergency Department (ED), both at Main Campus at Children's Hospital Colorado (CHCO) and at the North Campus in Broomfield
- Collect trial data including but not limited to assessment of patients' illness, collection of samples, data collection and verification
Clinical research - Pediatrics, Emergency Medicine
- Mimi Goodwin, MA, Research Manager, Department of Pediatrics, University of Colorado School of Medicine
- Rakesh Mistry, MD, MS, Research Director, Section of Emergency Medicine, Children's Hospital Colorado, Denver.
Example of Work:
- Enroll eligible patients in a clinical trial
- Screen and assist in assessment of patients seen in the ED at both the main CHCO and North Broomfield campuses for eligibility in a prospective clinical research study protocol
- Complete the entire consent process, including approaching patients and explaining study procedures and consent forms, answering questions concerning the study, and obtaining signatures for informed consent and assent from patients and caregivers
- Perform and/or coordinate the events of the study
- Guide clinical staff on their study roles
- Ensure accurate completion of data collection forms
- Accurate data entry
- Query resolution
- Medical chart review
- Follow-up interviews via telephone
- Some unskilled clinical care duties, including laboratory work and/or the handling of lab samples
- Database maintenance
- Other duties necessary for completion of research study
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Two positions, each with a specific schedule need (evenings/weekends):
- One position will be at Children's Hospital Colorado North Campus in Broomfield. Shifts are 8 hours long, specifically 2-10 pm, Thursday through Monday.
- The other position will be at Children's Hospital Colorado main campus (Anschutz Campus). Shifts are 8 hours long, specifically 2-10 pm, Sunday through Thursday.
- The preference is that that these two positions could alternate locations/shifts, but is subject to discussion with all candidates.
- BS/BA or BSN (or minimum of 4 years of experience as a Research Assistant may substitute
- Experience with conducting the Informed Consent Process
- Computer experience, especially using Microsoft Excel and an Electronic Medical Records system
- COMIRB and HIPAA requirement for researchers must be met prior to first ED shift
- Must abide by hospital, University, local, state, and national regulations regarding human subject research
Required Competencies: Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Interpersonal skills
- Strong personal direction and motivation
- Able to perform duties autonomously, as well as under direct supervision
- Ability to multi-task
- Ideal candidate will possess the ability to work in a sometimes stressful environment
- Ability to identify patients qualifying for the study
- Ability and willingness to be present in patient rooms during procedures that may or may not be related to the study
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology
- Accuracy and strong attention to detail
- Must have excellent organizational ability
- Prior experience in clinical research and/or clinical experience
- Bilingual/Spanish-speaking skills a plus
- Familiarity with emergency/outpatient setting
- Experience in interviewing and ability to execute these skills with persons under emergency conditions
- Pediatric experience
- Willingness to receive supervision
Condition of Employment:
- Must successfully pass a drug test through Children's Hospital Colorado
- Must be willing and able to pass a national criminal background check
- Please note that these positions will work on a specific, time-limited grant (one year period). There is no guarantee that we will be able to continue employment past the one year period, although preferential hiring will be given to these employees at the time the grant expires, dependent upon the quality of their work
Requirements for Hazardous Materials Handling or Exposure:
Infectious Materials/Human Blood or Bodily: Yes
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is $34,000 and is non-negotiable. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References, Reference Letters (Not Confidential)
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: - Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Required Application Materials: When applying at www.cu.edu/cu-careers, applicants must include: 1. A cover letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV or resume 3. The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and email addresses for three professional references. If the references are not incorporated in the Resume/CV or in the application, attach as "List of References". 4. Optional Letters of reference Questions should be directed to Mimi Goodwin: email@example.com
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20989 - SOM-PEDS Emergency-GenOps
Posting Date: Nov 3, 2016
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Mimi Goodwin
Posting Contact Email: Mimi.Goodwin@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00728524