Professional Research Assistant
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
SOM/Immunology & Microbiology
Professional Research Assistant (PRA)
Position #727260- Requisition 08475
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is a comprehensive urban research university serving more than 28,000 students in metropolitan Denver and online. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado public institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer 119 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is well known for its distinctive and highly productive research programs, its world-class health facilities at the Anschutz Medical Campus and its well-established partnerships in business, industry and government. These campuses currently have over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at our Anschutz Medical Campus, a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver. Denver is one of America's most vibrant urban centers and the downtown campus, located just steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District, affords our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The Professional Research Assistant (PRA) will develop quantitative multispectral immunohistochemistry assays for the analysis of tissue infiltrate to assist in monitoring patient responses to immunotherapy, the discovery of novel biomarkers for response to treatment, and the identification of mechanisms of treatment resistance that may inform future combinatorial clinical trials in autoimmunity and cancer. This position will be part of the Human Immune Monitoring Shared Resource (HIMSR) facility directed by Drs. Jill Slansky and Kimberly Jordan in the Human Immunology and Immunotherapy Initiative in the Department of Immunology and Microbiology, University of Colorado Denver School of Medicine. Using state-of-the-art instrumentation, the HIMSR will facilitate blood and tissue sample processing, biobanking, and immune monitoring assays at the genomic, proteomic, and cellular level. The HIMSR will also support the integration of acquired experimental data with clinical outcomes and endpoints. The successful candidate for this Senior PRA position will be detail-oriented, well organized, able to work under supervision and in a team environment, capable of following strict Standard Operating Procedures for routine assays, and capable of developing new assays for immune-based quantitative immunohistochemistry. Extensive experience and background in basic laboratory techniques, handling biologic tissue, processing clinical samples, immunohistochemistry, and fluorescence microscopy are highly desired.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Develop optimal protocols for antibody-based staining of tissue by comparing antibody clones, antibody concentrations, staining procedures, and panel designs intended for use on the Vectra 3 and MIBI platforms.
- Follow slide staining SOPs and analyze multispectral imaging data acquired on Perkin Elmer's Vectra 3 instrument and Multiplexed Ion Beam Imaging (MIBI) data acquired on IonPath's MIBI platform.
- Follow strict SOPs for immunoassays and cellular assays.
- Provide general support to managers and users of the HIMSR.
- Maintain the laboratory and equipment in working and clean conditions.
- Maintain laboratory compliance to safety regulations.
- Collect, accurately record, and analyze data in conjunction with other research staff.
- Communicate effectively with clinical pathology labs to obtain tissue samples.
- Organize clinical sample intake, processing, labeling, and storage.
- Assist other research staff with processing of biologic fluid samples.
- Maintain a reagents and materials database and oversee inventory and ordering.
- Maintain meticulous laboratory records, supplies, and sample records.
- Compile experimental data for transfer to clinical investigators and/or bioinformaticians.
- Four years of experience working in a laboratory environment.
- BS or BA in Biology or related field.
- Master's in Biology or related fields.
- Minimum of two years' work experience in a clinical research setting.
- Minimum of one year experience with immunohistochemistry or immunofluorescence.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Previous experience with basic tissue culture techniques, basic understanding of immunology, experience with immune-based assays, fluorescence microscopy, IHC workflows, autostainers, IHC/IF analysis software (ImageJ, Aperio, Halo, inForm, etc), and competence with basic computer software.
Conditions of Employment:
This position may require occasional extended hours and/or time outside of normal working hours.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 8475
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 21577 - SOM-Immunology Microbiology
Posting Date: Feb 14, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Jill Slansky
Posting Contact Email: Jill.Slansky@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00727260