University of Colorado - School of Medicine
NATURE OF WORK:
The Data Science to Patient Value (D2V, cuD2V.org) Program is a multidisciplinary research initiative that focuses on Big Data methods, their applications to medicine and health care delivery, and ultimately, the achievement of high value health patient-centered health care. D2V accomplishes this by creating an environment of collaboration and innovation in which experts in data science, health care delivery, and health services research work together to tackle important problems. D2V places a high priority on translation and dissemination, ensuring the 'products', be they analytic methods or care pathways, have maximal impact.
This position is for a senior analyst in the Analytics core of D2V. The mission of the Analytics core is to aid in the development of a multidisciplinary, collaborative analytic and computational environment that catalyzes research resulting in innovative applications of analytic approaches and development of novel analytic and computational approaches, methods, and tools. The core will develop and apply expertise in analyzing big, complex, and messy data such as those emerging from Health Data Compass (http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/healthdatacompass/Pages/default.aspx) and the D2V Informatics core. The D2V Analytics Core will be a collaborative group that has unique expertise in these types of analyses, but which also builds strong bridges to other analytic groups on campus in support of D2V projects.
The senior analyst will be expected to work independently and in collaboration with other members of D2V. They will provide professional and scientifically rigorous data science expertise to D2V initiatives, Analytics core initiatives, and D2V scientific projects. This may include workflow and tool development, development and testing of computational and analytic solutions to challenges that arise for D2V cores and projects, study design and analytic consultation, complex data visualization techniques, and dissemination of results to a variety of audiences with varying levels of computational and statistical expertise. Co-authorship on abstracts, oral and poster presentations, and scientific manuscripts may be involved and can be negotiated if desired. Preference will be given to those with broad computational and statistical skills and experience with complex data structures, distributed analytic tools, relational databases, cloud computing, techniques for reproducibility, and open source solutions.
Biostatistics, Computer Science, Data Science, Informatics
The senior analyst position is supervised directly by the co-Directors of the D2V Analytics core.
This position may have supervisory responsibilities for analysts, professional research assistants, database administrators, or graduate research assistants.
EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED:
The senior analyst will work both independently and in collaboration with other D2V team members. Assigned work will be varied. The senior analyst may be tasked with developing and testing a new distributed computing workflow for D2V initiatives, performing rapid-cycle testing of proposed computational solutions, or consulting with other analytic teams to solve problems for specific projects. Applicants for this position should a) be able to manage several assignments/projects at once, b) thrive in a varied work environment, c) enjoy brainstorming and thinking creatively to develop solutions to complex problems.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Strong knowledge of basic statistical principles relevant in health medical research
- Ability to analyze and creatively solve complex problems
- Strong programming skills in R, Python, or both
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to disseminate results to a wide variety of audiences
- Additional experience with management of large relational databases and the ability to extract data from SQL-based and other databases
- Experience with machine learning techniques
- Experience with distributed and cloud computing
- Experience with version control and techniques for reproducibility
- Good organizational skills across multiple projects and the ability to manage one's own work load, self-directed
- A positive attitude and the ability to work with a variety of investigators and colleagues
- Ability to contribute to the growth and development of the D2V Analytics core and D2V overall
The position requires formal training and experience in biostatistics and data management. An MS or PhD in Biostatistics, Epidemiology, Data Science or a related area is required. At least 2 years of previous experience or training as a data scientist, analyst, or equivalent is required.
- Evidence of strong programming skills in R, Python, or both
- Experience with data management in SQL or equivalent
- Experience with machine learning, distributed and cloud computing, and tools for version control and reproducibility
- Experience serving as a data scientist, biostatistician, or data analyst on multiple projects
- Work experience after training in an academic research environment, or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that provides the individual with the required knowledge, skills and abilities
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 08347
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20209 - SOM-MED-GIM
Posting Date: Feb 3, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Kelley Burns
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00731597