Instructional Designer / LMS Specialist (Full-Time)
*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.*
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine Department of Pediatrics, Section of Medical Education
Instructional Designer/Learning Management System Specialist (Academic Services Principal Professional)
Position #722833 - Requisition 08133
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus Department of Pediatrics, Section of Medical Education is looking for a motivated and creative Instructional Designer/Learning Management System (LMS) Specialist to become a member of our team. The Office of Medical Education develops, oversees, and coordinates Undergraduate, Graduate, Fellowship and Continuing Medical Education in the Department of Pediatrics. This full-time, University Staff (non-classified) position is responsible for supporting and administering the learning management system (Brightspace) and providing instructional design services for all course content. The selected candidate will contribute to the development, implementation, and effective integration of learning technologies in order to enhance the education of our trainees and faculty.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Collaborate with Subject Matter Experts (SME), clients and internal stakeholders to conduct needs/audience analyses and develop learning objectives.
- Collect and review materials for content that support learning objectives (policies, presentation material, past courses, manuals, handbooks, orientation materials and internal communications).
- Create storyboards, write narrative scripts, and determine instructional strategies and media elements (graphics, animation, audio) to be used in the courses.
- Drive team collaboration toward a shared understanding of course content and requirements; determine and develop effective graphic approaches, technical development, navigation, and functionality of the Learning Management System.
- Design and develop engaging online material in order to support a variety of training options, including instructor-led, eLearning, virtual classroom and self-directed learning.
- Supervision over Student Employee(s) and/or Instructional Design Interns may be required.
Learning Management System (LMS) Administration:
- Manage users and courses in the LMS, including bulk loading and enrollment of users from Excel sheets.
- Manage LMS configuration, including appearance, permissions and system settings.
- Solicit feedback, perform ongoing review, and improve effective use of the system.
- Provide immediate response to problems and emergency situations affecting normal operations.
- Work closely with appropriate external vendors to ensure efficient functionality of the LMS.
- Provide triage and troubleshooting for LMS issues and tickets, escalating issues to the appropriate groups as needed.
- Provide local technical support and troubleshoot user issues with the LMS.
- Serve as liaison between end users and vendors.
- Maintain procedures and policies to ensure the security and integrity of system.
- Write and maintain technical procedures and policy documentation as needed.
- Gather and evaluate team goals and user input in order to ensure appropriate technical solutions are pursued, developed, and implemented.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is $48,150 - $64,000 and is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.jobsatcu.com/hr/postings/true.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in instructional design or other closely related field.
- This position requires extensive, diverse and progressively responsible instructional design experience.
Substitution: A combination of education and relevant experience may substitute for the degree on a year-for-year basis, but not for the specific experience.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must successfully pass a drug test through Children's Hospital Colorado.
- Must be willing and able to pass a national criminal background check.
Competencies/Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to integrate instructional design and classroom technology, preferably in a higher education environment.
- Ability to develop new material, and improve existing learning activities and/or training material.
- Knowledge of instructional design theories, methodologies and best practices, including interactive teaching methods.
- Proven ability to conduct analysis and develop recommendations.
- Skilled in needs assessment and requirements gathering.
- Ability to research and experiment with emerging classroom and web technologies.
- Ability to successfully communicate to multiple levels of technical understanding.
- Ability to troubleshoot technical issues.
- Knowledge of user account management and system roles and permissions, and skilled in the creation of users and courses in an LMS.
- Ability to configure system settings (ex., widget appearance, color schemes, various display settings, etc.).
- Knowledge of reporting from an LMS.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Superior organization and problem-solving skills.
- Strong verbal, written and interpersonal communication, and customer-service skills.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills.
- Master's degree in instructional design or other related field from an accredited university or college.
- Three (3) or more years of experience as an Instructional Designer.
- One (1) or more years of experience administering a Learning Management System (LMS).
- Experience developing web content and asynchronous learning modules.
- Experience supporting online learning for faculty and students in an educational setting (higher education preferred).
- Experience working with Brightspace by D2L.
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.* REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2) A current resume/CV. 3) List of 5 professional references. Questions should be directed to Josh Rosenfeld at Josh.email@example.com.
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but full consideration will be given to complete applications received by February 26, 2017 Those who do not apply by February 26, 2017 may or may not be considered.
Job Category: Academic Services
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20269 - SOM-PEDS General Operations
Posting Date: Feb 7, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Josh Rosenfeld
Posting Contact Email: Josh.firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00722833