Senior Systems Administrator
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
College of Engineering and Applied Science
Senior Systems Administator
Position #702903, Requisition 07821
The College of Engineering and Applied Science (CEAS) at the University of Colorado Denver invites applications for a Senior Systems Administrator. This full time, University Staff (non-classified) position reporting to the IT manager, will administer and maintain all computer hardware, software, servers, and other technological resources within (CEAS). This position will focus on the day-to-day configuration, implementation, troubleshooting, and maintenance of the college's technical assets ensuring high availability and acceptable levels of performance for server and network resources, as well as tailoring custom solutions and applications to resolve issues. This position will also provide technical assistance to the college's faculty, staff, and students.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colorado, a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
This position will administer and maintain all computer hardware, software, servers, and other technological resources within the College of Engineering and Applied Science (CEAS) at the University of Colorado Denver. This position will focus on the day-to-day configuration, implementation, troubleshooting, and maintenance of the college's technical assets, including documenting designs, configurations, topologies, and problem resolutions, ensuring high availability and acceptable levels of performance for server and network resources, as well as tailoring custom solutions and applications to resolve issues. This position will also provide technical assistance to the college's faculty, staff, and students.
Technology Support Services:
- First line of response to all IT-related issues.
- Provide daily scheduled and unscheduled technical support for faculty, staff, and students, and tailor custom solutions or applications to fit the situation.
- Maintain inventory of all computer, server, network, and peripheral hardware as well as software licenses and vendor contracts.
- Perform other related work as assigned or required by the nature and scope of the position.
Computer Lab Administration:
- Administer a mixed environment of Windows, Linux, and Mac systems in computer labs, including hardware repairs and upgrades, operating system configuration, system software updates, software installation, procedure automation, and cloning.
- Update and maintain computer lab website(s).
- Provide instructional support for faculty/staff/students utilizing teaching computer labs.
- Server administration, including implementation and installation, file system configuration, hardware maintenance, storage management, software licensing, regular system updates, securing and hardening, and proactive monitoring and maintenance.
- Ensure high availability and acceptable levels of performance for server and network resources.
- Configure, monitor, and maintain disaster recovery solutions.
- Manage and maintain user accounts, groups, and access rights to network resources as well as server and software integration with University systems, including Active Directory.
- Document designs, configurations, topologies, and problem resolutions for server and network infrastructure.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
The hiring range for this position is $57,000-$65,000 and is commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, computer engineering, or related information technology field.
- Demonstrated experience providing technical support and maintenance of hardware, software and peripherals in a complex enterprise environment including Windows, Linux/Unix, and Mac systems and servers, server virtualization, storage, and high availability.
- Experience working with Active Directory, Group Policy Management, file and print servers, license management, remote client management, databases, and web services.
Four years of work experience in technical support, operation, and maintenance of hardware, software and peripherals in an enterprise environment may be substituted on a year for year basis.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Must be willing and able to lift 50 lbs.
- May include after hours, weekend
- Microsoft certifications (MCTS, MCITP, MOS any); Cisco; and Comp TIA certifications (A+, Network +, Security +).
- Demonstrated experience managing or maintaining High Performance Computing clusters.
- Experience with effective communication tools such as Slack, Skype for Business, Office 365, Asana, Microsoft Project, Microsoft Visio, and Zendesk.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Detail oriented with ability to work efficiently and effectively to produce accurate and timely work products, conduct follow through, and meet established deadlines.
- Skilled in utilizing, managing, maintaining, and teaching instructional technology. Proficient knowledge of computer security software, hardware, and best practices.
Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and to work and participate effectively as a team player in a flexible and changing environment
- Effective written and oral communication skills with ability to simplify and communicate complex technical information to other less technical teams and leadership.
- Ability to provide documentation for common technical tasks; e.g., connecting to department servers and e-mail from home, downloading antivirus updates, using audio-visual equipment, etc.
- Possess a sensitivity to and appreciation of cultural, political, and geographical differences with ability to work well with a diverse population of student, faculty, and staff.
- Strong decision making and analytical skills with ability to independently identify and analyze problems, find solutions, and resolve a wide range of complex issues.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Strong organizational skills with ability to establish work priorities and manage multiple competing demands in a fast-paced environment.
- Possesses a high level of multi-tasking skills with ability to work under pressure with frequent interruptions and short lead times.
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers * REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2) A current resume/CV. 3) List of 3-5 professional references. Questions should be directed to Vicki Rhea at email@example.com.
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 3-5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications will be accepted until midnight on January 2, 2017.
Job Category: Information Technology
Primary Location: Denver
Department: D0001 -- Denver Campus - 30071 - College of Engineering
Posting Date: Dec 19, 2016
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Victoria Rhea
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00702903