University of Colorado School of Medicine
SafeCare Spanish Coach Trainer
Department of Pediatrics/Kempe Center
Position # 7891/ Job Posting # 06010
The Department of Pediatrics, Kempe Center, has an opening for a full-time SafeCare Spanish Coach-Trainer. Kempe is a world leader in the prevention and treatment of child abuse and neglect. We bring together leading research and treatment professionals, policy makers and community members to make sure every child has the opportunity to develop and grow in a safe, healthy, and nurturing environment. SafeCare® Colorado is a state-wide partnership between the Kempe Center and the Colorado Department of Human Services as a voluntary service for families in an effort to prevent entry or re-entry to the child welfare system. The program is designed for high risk families with children ages zero to five years.
This position will serve as a SafeCare Home Visitor, Coach and Trainer. SafeCare is an evidence-based, in-home parenting program that will be provided to families with children aged 0-5, at-risk for child maltreatment and who have come to the attention of county human services. This position will attend a week long in-person training to become a SafeCare Home Visitor, and within the next 12-18 months receive subsequent training and certification to become a Coach and Trainer by the National SafeCare Training and Research Center (NSTRC). Once this position acquires Coach and Trainer certification, this person will perform SafeCare training, coaching and certification duties to sites across the state of Colorado and will function as a member of a larger SafeCare Coach/Trainer team that provides ongoing support, coaching and consultation to sites across the state. Coach related activity meets DORA standards for LPC and LCSW licensure. LPC and LCSW supervision will be provided upon request. Required travel for this position will range between 25% - 75% time at sites across Colorado. Additional duties will include collaborating with Kempe SafeCare team members on all aspects of operations of implementing SafeCare in collaboration with the State of Colorado. The incumbent will assist Kempe faculty with evaluation, research, and administrative tasks related to SafeCare.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding.
Home Visitor Duties (must attain prior to Coach certification)
- Attend a SafeCare Training workshop for five days
- Demonstrate skills in the field to become certified as a SafeCare Home Visitor
- Adherence to SafeCare protocols, which will be regularly monitored by their Coach through direct observation or recordings of sessions
- Participate in weekly team meetings with Coaches to discuss cases
- Will be regularly supported and monitored by their SafeCare Trainer (while still in Coach/HV training mode) to assist them in performing their coaching duties
Coach Duties (must attain prior to Trainer certification)
- Attend additional training workshop to receive Coach training and complete all certification requirements
- Demonstrate skills in the field to become certified as a SafeCare Home Visitor
- Coaches should participate in periodic implementation meetings with NSTRC to assess organization progress in implementing SafeCare, program successes, and problem-solving techniques.
- Attend additional training workshop to receive Trainer training and complete all certification requirements
- Conduct training on the SafeCare parenting program. This includes working with organizations to prepare their staffs for SafeCare training: conducting training on SafeCare skills and techniques using presentations, modeling of SafeCare skills, and facilitation of discussions on the implementation of SafeCare with families
- Supervising the practice and use of SafeCare skills through role plays, and providing feedback to participants on their knowledge and use of SafeCare skills
- Travel state-wide to conduct staff training in SafeCare. Evaluate the skills of training participants in implementing SafeCare through administration of quizzes and comparing performance in role plays and other settings to a structured checklist.
- Conduct training for SafeCare Coaches, in supervision and fidelity monitoring techniques using structured protocols. Evaluate the skills of Coaches in fidelity monitoring through site visits monitoring video or audio records, or other technologies (e.g. webcam, cell phones).
- Monitor the quality and fidelity of participant implementation of SafeCare through site visits, monitoring video, or audio records, or other technologies (e.g. webcam, cell phones).
- Evaluate the skills of trainers by observation and comparing performance to structured checklist.
- Master's Degree in Psychology or related field
- 1-3 years of experience in a group facilitation or coaching setting
- Two years' experience delivering interventions to families
- Fluent in Spanish
- Bachelor's Degree plus five years of experience may be substituted for Master's Degree
Condition of Employment: Must successfully pass a drug test through Children's Hospital Colorado
Required Competencies: Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Fluency in Spanish
- Skilled in oral and written communication with the ability to write and conduct daily communications
- Knowledgeable in group facilitation and coaching strategies
- Knowledgeable about the needs of diverse communities
- Ability to represent the project internally and externally in a professional and positive manner
- Possesses a high level of self-direction, attention to detail, able to work independently and execute multiple deliverables at any given time
- Knowledgeable about adult learning theory
- Skilled in collaboration with a variety of investigators and individuals
- Three to five years' experience implementing new approaches, programs, or systems for working with families
- Three to five years' experience training individuals, especially child welfare staff and/or individuals providing services to child welfare clientele
- Previous training/certification in evidence-based models
Salary and Benefits:
The salary for this position is commensurate with skills and experience.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references. The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees. Some positions may also require a motor vehicle records check.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/careers Applications will be accepted until finalists are identified, but preference will be given to complete applications received by August 1, 2016. Those who do not apply by August 1, 2016 may or may not be considered. When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact. Questions should be directed to Bridget Derkash at firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20932 - SOM-PEDS Kempe-GenOps
Posting Date: Jul 22, 2016
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Leah Garbe
Posting Contact Email: Leah.Garbe@childrenscolorado.org
Position Number: 00007891