Lead Advanced Practice Provider
The Lead Advanced Practice Provider will lead teams of Nurse Practitioners (NPs) and Physician Assistants (PAs) in the University of Colorado Hospital's clinical departments. The Lead Advanced Practice Provider should be an excellent clinician and have strong management and leadership skills. This role is accountable for developing and managing the quality of advanced practice clinical services/programs in the Department of Emergency Medicine.
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
1. Assists the Medical Director or their designee and the UCH/UPI SOM Director of Advanced Practice in facilitating the development, support and management of the NP/PA group within specific service lines. This includes all activities related to direct and facilitated patient care; including admission, daily medical care, improving patient throughput, early patient discharge, patient and staff education, hospital task forces, and patient satisfaction.
2. Actively participates in local/regional Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant associations with goal of developing clinical and leadership skills, promoting a unit base/departmental model, and developing a network of Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants for future career opportunities.
3. Seeks out national leadership roles on professional journal editorial boards, professional organizations and/or elected positions.
4. Identifies problems/barriers with NP/PA models of health care delivery and develops solutions in collaboration with other stakeholders. Provides clinical expertise for the group.
5. Develops and strengthens relationships with various stakeholders including other clinical Lead APP's, medical team attending physicians, primary care physicians, network providers, key decision makers, and site functional team members.
6. Serves as a role model to internal and external partners (relationships)
7. Assists with design and implementing departmental practice redesign efforts.
8. Works with departmental leadership to identify strategic areas for clinical practice growth.
9. Uses a variety of data and information resources to assess evolving program requirements and evaluate program performance. Collaborates with multidisciplinary team members to assess, redesign and continually improve effectiveness and productivity of clinical programs.
10. Actively participates with Quality Management in the development and implementation process improvements.
11. Monitors competency, documentation and outcomes of care provided by NPs and PAs. Identifies ways to facilitate working relationships among all levels of staff to meet patient care requirements.
12. Provides overall clinical supervision, including work assignments, training and evaluation in accordance with University of Colorado School of Medicine and Hospital and specific, respective departmental policies and procedures.
A.Interviews and recommends hiring of Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants in collaboration with the Medical Director or their designee.
B.Conducts the annual performance evaluations of staff and recommends disciplinary measures when necessary.
C.Identifies annual learning needs of staff. Develops and oversees orientation plans for newly hired Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants. Develops department level education, including in-services and teaching materials.
D.Promotes professional and academic development of staff.
13. Assures maximal effectiveness and efficiency of staffing plan for model/program, including experience, skill mix and scheduling. Develops staffing systems which respond effectively and quickly to changes in patient volume, acuity or service demands.
14. Develops policies and procedures related to patient care by following established applicable best practice guidelines.
1. Master of Science Degree, Registered and currently licensed
2. Certified as a Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant in the State of Colorado. Meets all requirements of medical staff credentialing
3. National certification within respective area of specialty
Required Competencies/Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
1. Effective written/oral communication, leadership, organizational, interpersonal and analytical skills
1. Minimum of 3 years advanced practice experience
2. Previous supervisory experience and knowledge of quality indicators in healthcare and patient safety
Special Instructions to Applicants:The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at http://www.cu.edu/employee-services. The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees. The University of Colorado Denver is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:When applying at CU Careers, applicants must include: 1) A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2) A current CV/resume 3) The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20353 - SOM-Emergency Medicine
Posting Date: Jan 3, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Frances Schulz
Posting Contact Email: Frances.Schulz@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00641306