Temporary Aide- Genetics
University of Colorado
Research and clinical studies in mitochondrial enzymology. The person will develop functional testing in mitochondrial biology such as high resolution respirometry, testing of the assembly of mitochondrial complexes, and testing of the mitochondrial structure. These tests will be applied to normal and to mitochondrial disease specific samples. The person will be involved in studies proving the pathogenicity of new genetic causes of mitochondrial disease, using tests as outlined above, as well as by transfection with a known gene and with inhibiting a candidate gene using shRNA.
Examples of Work Performed
- Perform high resolution respirometry
- Perform Western blotting
- Perform labeling of mitochondria with reagents such as mitotracker and perform confocal microscopy and analysis
- Develop vectors for transfection of fibroblasts either with a cDNA or with a shRNA generating construct. In vitro mutagenesis to engineer a patient's mutation in the cDNA. Transfect fibroblast or other cell lines and evaluate the phenotype, including the mitochondrial phenotype.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- The ability to work independently within the lab on enzyme assays, mitochondrial functional assays, molecular construct generation, in vitro mutagenesis, and transfection
- The ability to write lab methods and scientific papers.
- Bachelor of Science of higher in biology, biochemistry or a related field.
- Excellent communications skills using the English language
- Salary is hourly and $16.87
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 07073
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Professional Support Services
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20873 - SOM-PEDS Stolinsky GenOps
Posting Date: Oct 4, 2016
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Debbie Hill
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00729278