Director - Internal Medicine Residency Program
University of Colorado - School of Medicine
The University of Colorado, Department of Medicine seeks a director for the Internal Medicine Residency Program.The University of Colorado Internal Medicine Residency program provides innovative educational opportunities to future internists, subspecialists, and physician-scientists who will become leaders in their fields. An emphasis is placed on individualized rotations, research, and curricular content according to specific career goals of each of our approximately 183 trainees. The program is based at four core clinical sites; University Hospital, Veterans Affairs Hospital , Denver Health Medical Center (the safety-net county hospital), and Presbyterian-St. Lukes (private) medical center.
The Program Director (PD) provides Academic and Administrative Leadership for the Internal Medicine Residency Training Programs as well as direct training of residents and development of faculty skills for excellence in clinical teaching. This position oversees residency office staff and is responsible for oversight of the subspecialty fellowship training programs in internal medicine. This position is a 0.75 FTE and reports directly to the Vice Chair for Education who reports directly to the Chairman of DOM.
1. Oversees and guides the training and mentorship of all PGY 1-3 residents in each track of the residency program. This includes preliminary, categorical, hospitalist, primary care, physician scientist trainees in Internal Medicine, first year interns in anesthesia and neurology, and combined medicine-pediatrics residents during the Internal Medicine portion of their training. Oversees the selection, guidance and evaluation of the Chief Medical Residents.
2. Provides direction and support for core faculty, Associate Program Directors (APDs), subspecialty Directors and any other faculty teaching or supporting residents in the programs by mentorship, promotion of educational scholarship, faculty career development, broad dissemination of educational skills and techniques to teaching faculty. Oversees the evaluation of faculty involved in teaching of the residents in the DOM. Provides oversight support for the residency administrative operations.
3. Assures compliance with all ACGME requirements by continuously monitoring all aspects of the programs including but not limited to curriculum, duty hours, evaluations, performance of residents, performance of faculty, and review of resident survey results. Prepares and oversees conduct of the ACGME required evaluations, including WebADs, Annual Program Evaluation and Self-Study. Responds to recommendations from institutional GMEC and ACGME. Responsible for competency committee, Milestone reporting, remediation and promotion of all trainees in the program. Conducts or attends all committees related to the residency training programs.
4. Attends GMEC meetings and represents the DOM at these meetings.
5. Directs and manages all aspects of the Residency recruitment process to assure the highest quality of resident candidates.
6. Works closely with the resident leadership team, including chief medical residents, to assure monitoring and integration of educational programs on physician wellness.
7. Maintains open communication with the Chairman of the DOM and Vice Chair of Education (VCE) to keep them informed of program changes and for recommendations or problem solving related to the programs.
8. In collaboration with the VCE, is responsible for residency budget and institutional role support of residency program faculty in collaboration with the VCE; Directs the quarterly fellowship committee meeting for all fellowship program directors in collaboration with the VCE.
9. Attend annual national meetings to advance programmatic innovations, career development, evaluation and achievement of clinical competencies and actively participates in efforts to improve residency training nationally.
10. Actively participates in hospital meetings related to patient care and residency training to assure patient care needs, regulations, and hospital operational procedures and policies are met in relation to provision of resident patient care. Works closely with hospital leadership at all sites to assure adequate space and rotations for assigned residents including DHMC, PSL, UCH, VA and other external sites.
- Must be currently Board Certified in Internal Medicine by the American Board of Internal Medicine
- Must have a minimum of 5 years of faculty experience in an ACGME accredited Internal Medicine Residency or subspecialty Fellowship Program
- Have at least 3 years of GME administrative experience (APD or PD) prior to appointment
- Be willing to combine Administrative and Diagnostic (teaching) Responsibilities
- Demonstrated excellence in scholarship of education
- Formal training in medical education
- Have strong administrative and team building skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 05977
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20209 - SOM-MED-GIM
Posting Date: Jul 19, 2016
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Ethan Hagen
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00726508