Database Application Specialist
We are searching for an individual to coordinate database technologies and assist in the development, modification and implementation of information technology applications. Provide and design tools to assist in the management of the database and client/server environment, including institutional data mining. Identify, develop, manage, analyze, and demonstrate the use of data and database tools.
Integrate college information contained in academic, administrative, operational and directory-enabled databases. Support employees in data management, analysis and decision making efforts.
Maintain SQL and related database technologies. Research and evaluate new querying, reporting, and programming applications. Install and test data-mining components and related software upgrades.
Ensure that external and internal regulations and policies governing data management are met including regulations concerning information security, compliance audits, and data privacy.
Assist in the identification of solutions to complex problems and communicate those solutions to peers and end-users. Investigate college data collection tools and processes necessary to minimize information redundancy and reporting conflicts.
Work with and often lead teams on projects involving the development and implementation efforts of advancements and upgrades to institutional databases and applications.
Responsible for specification, upgrades, and routine maintenance of software and databases systems and their interconnections.
Assist in the design and development of program applications that interact with college databases. Design and write reports using college data sources.
Maintain standard operating procedures and user training documentation for college database systems. Translate and communicate technical information into non-technical terminology.
Provide training to technical support and applications staff in the effective utilization of database and application technologies.
Report all information security threats and activities that may compromise or destroy data to IT management in a timely manner.Responsible for understanding, supporting and actively demonstrating the College’s beliefs, values, mission and vision and being in agreement to be evaluated by same.
• Associate’s degree
• Five years of related experience
• advanced database administration and information security management
• database language and management tools (SQL preferred)
• Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, and PowerPoint / current version)
• web server technology (IIS and Tomcat preferred)
• one industry standard programming language (C++, Java, VB, etc.)
• Microsoft Windows Server environment (Active Directory and Domain Services preferred)
• advanced enterprise-level network, hardware, and software configurations and troubleshooting procedures
• manage multiple competing-priority projects by utilizing time management techniques
• work independently and in teams while supporting a diverse population of users
• be customer service oriented, self-motivated, and work under tight timelines with minimal supervision
• use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems
• identify complex problems and review related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions
• provide excellent written, listening, questioning, and oral communication
• provide excellent organizational and interpersonal / human skills
• develop and conduct one-on-one and group instruction
• work with confidential records related to the position
• perform accurate work without close supervision or oversight
• work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community
Must have a valid driver’s license
Generous retirement plan; campus fitness facility; EAP; medical, dental & vision plans; 16 paid holidays, and more.