University of Colorado - School of Medicine
Area of primary responsibility (80%):This position reports directly to Dr. Margaret E. Wierman, MD. The candidate will develop and lead projects in the area of neuroscience and reproductive endocrinology related to GnRH Neuron Biology. Activities related to this responsibility include but are not limited to
- Expertise in molecular and cell biology techniques related to functional analysis of novel genes and pathways to dissect the mechanisms involved in the epigenetic and genetic control of GnRH neuron development and function.
- Expertise in the study of transgenic and xenograft models where candidate genes are overexpressed or silenced
- Assesment of novel gene mutations to cause reproductive defects in animal models and humans
- Supervision of members of the laboratory including PRAs, students and fellows
- Performing data analysis including bioinformatics and biostatistics
- The individual is expected to enhance their general knowledge base and skills related to related to neuroendocrinology, reproduction and genetics
- Meet with Dr. Wierman on a regular basis, to provide updates on progress, discuss problems encountered and devise solutions, and summarize and interpret data
- Prepare data for presentation at regional and national meetings
- Publish data in original manuscripts, reviews etc
- Perform other duties, as assigned, for successful and timely completion of this research project.
The applicant will work closely with collaborators across the institution in genomics, bioinformatics, SOPharmacy high throughput core etc.
Other responsibilities and areas of focus (20%). As this post-doctoral training is considered a career-development period, it is expected that a portion of time be dedicated to:
1. Enhancing general knowledge in related scientific areas by attending intramural seminars, research conferences, and grand rounds
2. Attending weekly Wierman lab meetings
3. Presenting research in progress at lab meetings and yearly Endocrine research conference
4. Developing the skill sets towards independenct. The objective is to prepare and submit, prior to the end of the training period (2-3 yrs), a mentored training grant application. This will be achieved by:
A. Using resources (reading the scientific literature, attending seminars) to enhance their understanding of the field, communication and grant-writing skills.
B. Discuss potential ideas with Dr Wierman and other experts on campus
C. Present ideas for future studies at lab meetings
D. Participate in and give feedback during lab meetings where other members of the group present grant submissions for review
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a PhD/MD
- Expertise in neuroscience and/or reproduction using molecular and cell biology techniques
- Experience with transgenic and/or nude mouse models
- Excellent communication skills using the English language
- The ability to work independently and work collaboratively with other in the lab
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:
When applying, applicants must include:
- A current Resume/CV
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20184 - SOM-MED-Endocrinology
Posting Date: Feb 16, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Sabrina Ferguson
Posting Contact Email: Sabrina.email@example.com
Position Number: 00702156