*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.*
University of Colorado Denver
Office of Academic Resources and Services
Position #705780 - Requisition 07462
The University of Colorado Denver is seeking applications for a Faculty Advisor. This part-time (20%), University Staff (non-classified) position functions as a problem-solver to resolve faculty-related conflicts and is responsible for helping improve collegiality and communication. The primary responsibility of the Faculty Advisor is to actively facilitate resolution of conflicts or grievances that involve one or more faculty members at CU Denver. Other responsibilities include (a) the recommendation of policy or program modifications based upon experience with campus conflict resolutions and patterns, and (b) providing outreach and identification of targeted trainings or workshops relative to faculty-specific issues where conflicts arise regularly. This position reports to the Associate Vice Chancellor, Academic Resources and Services, in the Office of the Provost.
• Listens to faculty members' university-related administrative, academic, or interpersonal concerns and helps them identify possible options for managing or resolving them;
• Assists in actively managing conflicts or grievances between a faculty member and administrators and/or faculty colleagues;
• As appropriate, refers faculty to pertinent campus resources;
• Facilitates communication among faculty and administrators to prevent or resolve problems;
• Reports patterns and trends in conflict matters to campus leaders, including senior administration and appropriate members of the Faculty Assembly;
• Supplements the University's existing resources for formal conflict resolution; and,
• Provides informal assistance to those who voluntarily request or agree to use it.
• In collaboration with administration and shared governance units, clarifies the institution's practices, policies and rules for individuals seeking guidance and assistance in the resolution conflict involving faculty at CU Denver;
• Consults regularly with the Faculty Assembly and its Academic Personnel Committee relative to faculty-related concerns;
• Provides input regarding the revision of relevant university policies, practices and protocols based upon patterns and trends observed as Faculty Advisor;
• Responds to faculty requests for information about campus policies and procedures; and,
• Consults with appropriate administrators and the Faculty Assembly on the possible effects of existing and proposed policies and procedures and recommends changes accordingly.
Outreach and Liaison
• Collaborates closely with others (e.g., Faculty Assembly, Human Resources, Ombuds Office, Office of Equity, Office of Diversity and Inclusion, Counseling Center, Phoenix Center) to offer programs and services to improve faculty workplace communication and work relationships, campus culture and the workplace environment.
• Identifies resources to enhance dispute resolution options for members of the campus community to minimize faculty conflict; and,
• Informs faculty and others in the campus community about conflict resolution programs available through the office and through campus programs.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
• Bachelor's degree obtained from an accredited university.
• Extensive academic or professional experience, or significant training in facilitating resolution of conflict with multiple parties amongst faculty, upper administration, or similar.
• A rostered member of the faculty at an accredited university;
• A terminal degree, appropriate to the discipline in which rostered as a faculty member, obtained from an accredited university;
• Three years of experience in facilitating resolution of conflict and dispute resolution in a university setting;
• Experience in serving as a liaison to link individuals or groups to varied resources;
• A seasoned faculty member from CU Denver who has been promoted in rank and active in university affairs (shared governance bodies, departmental, college, campus, or system-wide committees);
• Experience working with the academic and administrative structure, procedures, rules, expectations, policies, regulations, and formal and informal norms affecting faculty members at CU Denver.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Excellent oral and written communication skills;
• Analytical and problem-solving skills;
• Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective and trusting working relationships with faculty, administrators, and staff.
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.* REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2) A current resume/CV. 3) List of 3-5 professional references. Questions should be directed to Lee Potter at Lee.Potter@ucdenver.edu.
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but full consideration will be given to complete applications received by December 31, 2016. Those who do not apply by December 31, 2016 may or may not be considered.
Job Category: Academic Services
Primary Location: Denver
Department: D0001 -- Denver Campus - 60008 - AVC-OARS
Posting Date: Nov 8, 2016
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Lee Potter
Posting Contact Email: Lee.Potter@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00705780